Happy DECEMBER!

Congratulations to our new November Member of the Month!

In honour of the festive season, we have a few new contests for you.
12 Days of Christmas
Caption Christmas

We have a few other bits for you to look at:
So You Want to be a Moderator?
Storycraft - An RP Contest

Come chat with us on the officially unofficial Collective Discord.
Remembering to vote here and here every day is the leading cause of community growth, so keep it up!

Your Nation, Your Rule (with a twist!) Interest Check

Gather ideas and brainstorm with other members, recruit players, make partner requests, or just check for interest in an idea you have. A great place to browse to see what is taking place or build new settings and worlds from scratch.

Moderators: Darkblade, Forge

Skummy the Kitty
Journeyman
Journeyman
Class: Werebeast

Your Nation, Your Rule (with a twist!) Interest Check

Post by Skummy the Kitty » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:06 am

Hey guys, Skummy the adorabilical kitten here! Yes I never learned my lesson with how these always turn out, who's asking?!

Newbies won't know what the heck I'm speaking of but veteran players will remember a time where there was always a new incarnation of Your Nation, Your Rule cropping up and dieing off as people suddenly found themselves unable to continue into the feel of the game. As for those who do not know what Your Nation, Your Rule (Henceforth to be noted as YNYR) even is? Let me explain:

YNYR is a massive sandbox world building roleplay scenario where you create your own country and peoples, technologies and cultures, and duke it out with other nations. You can lay siege to the marvels of the world as a brilliant tactician, make shaky alliances that last until one of you has a good line of site on the other person's back for that fancy knife, or hell just sit still and on't bother people while you improve yourself. These are just three options the potential is near limitless only constrained by the rules of the game and your creativity.

The rules of YNYR are simple like the golden rules of no metagaming, godmodding, or being a dick in general for pete's sake everyone knows those. I mean, like seriously we're reasonable peeps yeah? So yeah, I mean your nation can be a real jerk and hone in on one nation that they just hate but you'd better have a damn good call for it and actually give reasons and manifest a story out of it or else you're just being a meanie. I think that's pretty fair, we're storytellers so tell the story about how Jimmyville has laid transgressions against Marlinburg whether real (by way of communicating with Jimmyville's creators to make this a true partnership of ideas) or imaginary ^_^.

The far more in depth rules are that if you want to improve some sort of technology, increase troops, expand your border, start a new crop rotation, etc. It takes ten posts of at least two paragraphs dedicated to that R&D or the training of soldiers, to how your country is displacing native npcs or tearing through thickets, of how your people are deciding on a new round of crops and what they're doing to prepare the soil, whatever but this is a story and nations don't rise and fall by way of coincidence. That means we want to know exactly how you plan to do all these amazing things yeah? The ten posts rule is a concrete ruling from all previous iterations of YNYR and has always stood to be well received and understood. The two paragraph minimum is from me because I like to see the substance of what is going on not just some bare bones skeletal piece that just skims through the whole flippin process.

Second? The nations must be centered around or below a certain technological threshold that we designate here in the thread though usually we go to WWII because that's when military innovations began to just appear like hotcakes. However this YNYR will feature abundant low level magic and the capability of growing it further from there. This little detail I shall explain later. We do this to prevent everyone from being so developed that is makes the process of growth and research irrelevant. We want to see where technologies and innovations can take us meow.

I forget what other rulings used to be in the way back, but those be the main portions if I member right

This one however is leaning in with a twist! You'll all be my enemies as I shall be investing in a powerful creation that shall bring pain and retribution on the entire game! Your choice whether to do battle, save up forces for a siege war, ally together to end my misery spread? Or bicker among yourselves as I slowly encroach upon all that you hold dear.

In the past I was known for the inventive nations I built up, now with a greater writing capability I can properly bring those creations to true fruition! I would hope this entices old and new players; the chance to not only have something entirely your own with hardly any limitations besides the general consensus and your imaginative powers! A new flavor to the game as you have a common nemesis who wishes nothing but the spread of destruction and mayhem! Me as a GM!

I'd say its a pretty good idea no? Only question is, are you right for the epic battle that is YOUR NATION, YOUR RULE?!

Georgeanna
Wanderer
Wanderer
Class: Thief

Re: Your Nation, Your Rule (with a twist!) Interest Check

Post by Georgeanna » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:29 am

totally into this.

count me in Skummy!
All hail to the mighty Forge, who forged this amazing set design.

Skummy the Kitty
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Skummy the Kitty » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:41 am

Woooooo!

Trekwars
Wanderer
Wanderer
Class: Mage

Post by Trekwars » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:45 am

Definitely! I am so excited! It's just like Risk but even cooler!
-I have a plan, it's a terrible plan and will probably fail spectacularly, but it's still a plan!

Madrigal
Traveller
Traveller

Post by Madrigal » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:11 am

I've actually had an idea based on the old YNYR games sitting on the backburner on my computer. I'm all down for this! I do have a handful of questions however.

1) Can we devise our own races? What liberties are we allowed when crafting them? I recall a couple scenarios, especially in fantasy YNYRs where some people were...very generous with their racial abilities.

2) Can our races use 'alt-tech' (i.e. can Steampunk or Magitech exist in the same world as conventional WWII era technology)? How about organic technology or hive-mind organisms, similar to say the Zerg from Starcraft?

3) Could you define 'low tier magic' for me? How prevalent would mages and the like be in this world? How powerful would we expect the pinnacle of our faction's magedom be?

4) You stated we are all beginning on our own, with the possibility of allying. We're all separate factions at the start then, and free to form however many collective alliances as we'd like right? I think I recall a couple RPs were we could only form alliances with each other or join into one sole NATO type alliance.

5) Can we get a map, and a cheer for the return of YNYR?

Trekwars
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Trekwars » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:40 am

Cheer for return of YNYR

Hip Hip Hooray!
-I have a plan, it's a terrible plan and will probably fail spectacularly, but it's still a plan!

Ninmast
Journeyman
Journeyman
Class: Paladin

Post by Ninmast » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:42 am

Ooh, I want in! The biggest conflict will be deciding what society I want to bring in! The Sigriddi, or the Divine Dragon Empire that totally isn't Imperial China?
I'm looking to get a new signature image. I know what I want, but haven't been able to find any suitable image for it. If you think you can help with some creative magic, please shoot me a PM. - Ninmast

Skummy the Kitty
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Skummy the Kitty » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:10 pm

Okay I will answer in order Madrigal! Glad to see you are back, as to see you once more Ninmast- it has certainly be quite a time I thought interest would be dead lol

1. Yes, please do, I find limitations on races dreadful. The capabilities of your races should be rather limited in a sense, like I'd take it as a case by case basis almost but I feel like I should say keep it reasonable to the scale of the environment. You can be a frog race for example sake, that can use frog adaptations like gills plus lungs, have powerful jumping legs and caustic spittle just for hell of it, but you're also wetlands based and have to begin working on wet suits for use in exploration if you want to move forward or had to have created a way to bog areas etc. Like make it sound realistic in the frame of what your race can be. Don't be fire elemental that can totally phase through conventional weaponry and radiations but also be able to temper yourself so you're immune to lack of oxygen and water so its nigh impossible to kill you

I guess tl;dr, ask yourself this "Am I making a race that is too packed with capabilities? Am I making something grossly overpowered? If this going to force others to act in a way that only benefits me?" However I trust that we're all mature here, we can discuss things rationally and review if a race has been overbalanced, is weighed down, or just seems like people too the liberal approach way too far.

I don't know how best to put it, I want there to be no limitations except they can't be unbearably strong; no exceptions. You can't be a super race but you can elevate yourself above humanity to an extent of supersoldier variant is where I'd draw the line. The case by case is that, if I feel you have gone over the threshold of being a superior race into being an over powered race I will ask you to review with me over PM. Also, ruling is that you have to give races weaknesses. They can be clockwork golems for all I care, but you have to be able to stop up those gears with something and have them shut down etc. Humans you can shoot, stab, maim, riddle with disease, so many things; the least superior races can do is be weak to a few things so they can be killed. Doesn't have to be as easy to kill them as humans but they have to fall within that range of 'We can hurt them, disable them, kill them'

2. Yes, all of that can exist; just ensure it falls into the not busted category please. No immortal golden armies lol But zerglings and the lot are still fine, remember keep it rational and reasonable or I'm going to ask for reviews and revisions and that's awkward.

3. Low tier magic I would denote as you can shoot fireballs, cast magical beams, you might even just now be getting integrations of magic and technologies going in a prototype status. However you are not using mobile teleportation spheres, no death plague casts, no controlling the weather or bringing down the hammer of the cosmos. You can mind read, you can't enslave an army, you can levitate, you can't go mach 5 in a shielded bubble, etc. When I say low tier I mean power wise it can still range highly but you can't use advanced magics or wide manipulations of those magics, however they're about as powerful as conventional modern weapons.

Magic can be researched however, so you don't have to stay there, but every innovation of magic is separate so if you're looking into how to make fire magic spread fast that takes time, then ice magic causing blizzards, so on and so forth as you grow your capabilities of magic. Magic is in abundant quantities here so it can be as common as any skill someone may pick up. I won't say you have to be born with affinity, magic here can be picked up and so you can have entire civilizations based upon the fundamentals of magic but that naturally makes them more frail then those who decided to go into martial skills, but races can make up for this fact while leaving them weaker in other areas and so on and so forth in a dynamic fashion. I want you guys to have am ample toolbox to build with.

Tiers can be gotten into in time, you can immediately begin studying mid tier magic which is making your basic magic deadlier, figuring out how to integrate tech trees, and growing pains of what happens when you try R&D and it backfires magically. This is where stuff picks up and you begin integrating, learning the power of the magical world and how to strain it to fit your designs. Side note there will be no nuclear weaponry in this roleplay, but magic will supplement this factor or you can find other ways such as steampunk superweaponry, etc. But I find nuclear arsenals to be boring and dangerous, whenever we get to that tree of design if ever.

High Tier magic is you've discovered the secrets of magic, now you're growing it more and more and making advancements, suddenly you can summon magical arsenals, create floating cities, things that are literally impossible become reality. Magic and tech become almost as one. It isn't world ending, it isn't the sudden trump card, but it does create more options. This is how far you can go, and you'll be limited because trying to use high tier magic without having set up the power to supply it will end in catastrophic disaster. You have to balance everything around it, it's nigh improbable to achieve if you're everyone's enemy and you'll have to share your secrets if you're everyone's friend, but will it be worth it? Up to you

In keeping with this, individual magical supply and strength is limited, you can only cast so much and so strong. Collective strength helps, and eventually you can learn how to exponentially increase this power and supply of magic.

Everyone can designate one person, be that your leader, your general, anything. This one person can grow their magical affinity and power and supply at an expedited rate if they focus on solely that for ten posts. This one person can grow to their own state of High-Tier where they are supplying themselves and have a lot of focused power, but they can't help with the collective side, they have to only use it within the confines of themselves.

4. By yourself at first, then you may make any and all alliances, you can go full blown nato if you want to try and stop me- I'm telling you right now I don't think I'll be unfair to a not fun point, but I'll certainly have key advantages because of the threat I'm meant to pose on your civilizations. You may know of each other, or even have had previous diplomacy together. Don't care really its up to you how secluded you are or how much you know of the world. Unless by design as a race or specialization in magic, communication could be limited based on the era of play. But yeah you're not forced into anything, do as you wish and what you need to, to stop me.

5. I'm sorry, I suck at map creation machines and thus I have nothing but Hooray!

Will this suffice or should I explain more? I don't mind its just I don't have concrete answers a whole lot of the time :3

Also good to see you TrekWars, you're in for a treat, it's your firs time same with Georgeanna. I'd love to see either one Ninmast, and would happily got o war with both of em hahahaha :twisted: But I'm so happy to see you guys here
Last edited by Skummy the Kitty on Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ninmast
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Ninmast » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:25 pm

So we're definitely starting with WWII tech, then, as opposed to earlier YNYR where you start as a primitive society?

And to sum up low tier magic, it sounds like you're saying nothing above third-level spells in D&D.
I'm looking to get a new signature image. I know what I want, but haven't been able to find any suitable image for it. If you think you can help with some creative magic, please shoot me a PM. - Ninmast

Madrigal
Traveller
Traveller

Post by Madrigal » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:10 pm

Sounds good to me! I wasn't exactly planning on entering the Super Saiyan Empire, but I definitely recall one YNYR where one RPer wanted to enter a race of sentient shadows. They were super fast and strong, could shapeshift weapons, were impervious to non-magical damage, and outnumbered any other nation two to one. They were weakened by sunlight sure, but they had a giant moon that covered their home. Essentially making them impossible to invade. Seeing something in writing would definitely help keep younger RPers from something similar. Even if it was a good laugh.

As for maps, if you're planning on using an Earth map, we could use a PNG map from one of Paradox Interactive's games, like Europa Universalis IV or Hearts of Iron IV. They come up quickly using a Google image search if you're interested.

chaosDesigner
Newcomer
Newcomer
Class: Adventurer

Post by chaosDesigner » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:46 pm

Hmm... This seems interesting. I'm gonna say, tentative interest for now. I'm gonna try and see if I can think up of a few ideas, and then I'll run them by here, see if they would work.
Chaos has been designed!!!

Skummy the Kitty
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Skummy the Kitty » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:10 pm

@Nin: Now that you say that I'm reminded that I was going to leave it up to a vote for what area we started out in technologically. My first YNYR it was WWII for example so I don't remember always starting primitives. So I'm going to change my answers around to keep it vague but magic is still as powerful as before. Yes a good analogy is that its around third level spells and abilities in D&D, thank you for that analogy that might help give people a much clearer perspective than my wording.

I think I might make a few suggestions of time frames for starting points and leave it up to a vote if that sounds fair. Again I'm not just like changing my mind I did intend that from the start but I'm also a cat so my brain gets frazzled and forgetful. Like maybe make it a choice between Ancient Bronze Age, Roman Expansion, Dark Ages, Renaissance, Colonial Expansion, Industrial era, and WW1 and 2. But those might be too many choices so slim the possibles to Roman Expansion, Reinaissance, Industrial, WW2. You can tell this is certainly a time for hammering out kinks and trying to build a proper base of information before dedicating an OOC to this idea- as well as an easy and vocal way to let people know this is back.

I've only ever been successful as a collaborative GM, so if I sound like I don't have everything on the straight and up and up, its because I don't so feel free to keep asking as many questions as you can so we can keep making this better and better!

@Madrigal: Yeah that's exactly my point I was trying to get across, because I'm big enough to admit that in the early days I tried pulling those stunts and got rekt by I think actually you on how to properly balance races Madrigal. It was my Folklore civilization and I was using things like vampires and werewolves against WW2 fighter jets and the like.

Wasn't accusing, just making it abundantly clear that those be the rules, that you can't be the all powerful. The closest I've seen to all powerful is between you, Ninmast, and Raptor. I keep on expecting him to come around with the Imperium and 1v1 my nation lol

I will check out those maps btw! I love this dialogue happening and the interest growing! Hello Chaos! Don't worry we don't bite (cept me but only lightly) so don't feel weird about none of this.

Alrighty, with that I'mma go look at maps, super excited

Skummy the Kitty
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Skummy the Kitty » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:17 pm

Double Post: Before anyone could tell me different, I've already edited. There is no concrete starting era- it will instead be decided upon later, probably by way of collective (hehe) vote for the fairest starting point.

Trekwars
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Trekwars » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:35 pm

a little thought: once a starting era is decided should there be some kind of "Starting kit" that goes along with it? Like a range of basic items and supplies that our Nations will start with? Or is every nation going to be starting with different forms of technology?

Also I am super excited for this now!

Ninmast
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Ninmast » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:39 pm

Hah, the only time I can really think that I've had a super powerful nation was in the space one where I entered the Edenites.

Skummy the Kitty
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Skummy the Kitty » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:15 pm

Lol I dunno it may just be because of how much of a better writer you were compared to my skill level back in those days but you always seemed so unapproachably strong.

Trek, define starter kit better for me would you? Usually people begin wherever they want to in their range of technology as long as it doesn't supersede the limitations of the era. However if newer players need a shot in the arm I can devise some sort of rudimentary packet of helpful things that should get everyone squared away well enough to not be caught out in the cold without a jacket if that makes any real sense. But by and large its up to the players to design their nations, for their rule. See what I did there? Yes I am horrible, who do you ask?

But, Madrigal and Ninmast are veterans so its a hell of a lot easier on their end to devise a strategy based upon the era they start off in, not to mention I myself am a dedicated veteran of this game and I'm your enemy. I can be quite terrifying in situations where I properly use my skills, and I tend to veer into the thematic territory so I'm much less about how strategically viable options and rather focus on his much of an impact I'll make.

I'll try and ensure that everyone is balanced, still I can give a better rounded answer once I know what you mean by start kits :3

Trekwars
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Trekwars » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:25 pm

Ok, "Starter Kit" may have been a bad term, but just ignore that (Honestly I forgot where I was going with it). But I think I got the main idea down, I'll probably play the pacifist though in this.

Also, how in detail do you veterans typically go with your posts about like devising new technology for your nations?
Also (final one here), how large are these nations? A few hundred, a few thousand, a million people?

Skummy the Kitty
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Skummy the Kitty » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:34 pm

Pacifism can be a pretty steady idea :)

Erm, brain is not up to this question at the moment! I'll let you know later!

The sizes vary depending on the eras, plus just how the lands are designed. But yeah hard caps are placed based on eras, like primitives could literally just be a few dozen people learning about agriculture and clay pots, but WW2 could be a million or more people in a sprawling metropolitan area so meow year just varies especially just for the flavors people wish to designate their nations. I could see pacifists being hearty in populace because they are devoid of internal conflicts for the most part and thus are allowed to grow and expand at a gross rate that consumes non-inhabited spaces and paints a target on their back for ripe plunderings.

This is just one example lol

Ninmast
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Ninmast » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:56 pm

Skummy the Kitty wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:15 pm
Yes I am horrible, who do you ask?
I didn't. You're a cat. That you're horrible is foregone.

Anyway, I've got three different ideas I can go with, and I've mentioned two. The third would be more technologically advanced, but have no magic, and would have a small population.

I can lay out all three for you at your leisure if you need more information. The first (Sigriddi) would mostly only work starting from an early setting, the third (the advanced, small population) would only work in a later setting, but I can adapt the Divine Dragon Empire to any of the settings.

Serafim
Scrub
Scrub
Class: Nobility

Post by Serafim » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:21 am

This seems like an interesting idea.

Sure, sign me up!
Thank you Forge for your amazing work!