[IC - Tavern] The Sanctum

The home of the Collective and its accumulated knowledge regarding the multiverse. The Ark contains profiles of all personas, characters, and worlds known to The Collective as well the records of its history and continuing story.

Moderator: Forge

Sea Lion224
Wanderer
Wanderer
Class: Adventurer

Re: [IC - Tavern] The Sanctum

Post by Sea Lion224 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:51 pm

"Aw, that would be very nice, Adri!" the feathered being beamed at her, eyes twinkling. Having someone from another world come see his was something to look forward to.
Alexander softly broke out into another Christmas carol, hitting rather high notes.

Ninmast
Journeyman
Journeyman
Class: Paladin

Post by Ninmast » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:55 pm

Adri didn't join in this time, opting to just listen and sip her nog. She fancied herself a decent singer, but felt she'd just be interrupting. She didn't speak again until he finished it.

"You've got a lot of flexibility in the notes you can hit, huh?" she asked. "Can all of your people do that?"

Sea Lion224
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Sea Lion224 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:00 pm

Alexander squawked in alarm, flapping his arms slightly. "I was doing it again? Oh, man, I'm so sorry!"
Regaining his composure, he stammered, "Uh...thanks, I'm not all that good, and it depends. Some can, some can't. everyone's different."

Ninmast
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Ninmast » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:18 pm

That tilt of her head again. "You don't realize when you're singing? Is it just reflexive copycat behavior, then? Like a parrot?"

Sea Lion224
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Sea Lion224 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:23 pm

"No, I guess I kind of zoned out fora few seconds," the birdman said, sipping his drink.

Ninmast
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Ninmast » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:29 pm

"Whole song, actually," Adri smiled with apologetic reassurance. "Why don't you tell me more about your world, then?"

Sea Lion224
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Sea Lion224 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:44 am

The birdman nodded. "Of course. Like I said, my world is a lot like Earth, except many different species live together, and, it's, in a way, futuristic. People use tablets and some computers, and oh, you don't have to wait very long for orders. There are no flying cars, no cloaning machines, and, as far as I know, no time-traveling machines."

Ninmast
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Ninmast » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:23 am

"You run into a lot of flying cars, cloning machines and time traveling machines off-world?" the brunette asked around her glass. "And what do you mean some computers? Are most of the computers never used by anyone?"

Sea Lion224
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Sea Lion224 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:15 am

"No, and the computers are used. It's just, more and more people are using the tablets and Ipads," Alexander replied.

Ninmast
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Ninmast » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:32 pm

"I see," the young woman said. "Again, I'm sorry if I sounded rude. It was the way you made such specific mentions of those things that drove me to ask." She leaned forward to prop an elbow on the table. "It seems like you're pretty on par with the standard Modern Earth, though. I've seen Earths where there were large nonhuman populations, but it's usually due to alien settlement or widespread mutation, the idea of multiple different species evolving to sapience concurrently and in parallel would be incredibly unusual."

Sea Lion224
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Sea Lion224 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:40 pm

"Thanks," was all the avian managed to say. He was glad his world was the way it was. He didn't know how he'd survive without the technology it possessed. That certaintly would make life quite challenging. "And, it's alright, you were just curious."

Ninmast
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Ninmast » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:23 am

Her grin returned in force. "Always and forever! That's why I'm always traveling! But to be honest, I feel like I'm doing most of the talking."

Sea Lion224
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Sea Lion224 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:35 am

"Oh, sorry. It's just, I'm just a birdman. There's nothing special about me, to be honest. Not trying to be a downer or anything," Alexander answered truthfully, shifting a bit in his seat and wiggling his toes.

Ninmast
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Ninmast » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:08 am

"Nobody ever thinks there's anything special about them," Adri commented around the lip of her glass. "They're always wrong." She set the glass down again and crossed her arms. "Alright, then, if you don't wanna talk about you, got any questions about me?"

Sea Lion224
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Sea Lion224 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:04 pm

"Yeah, Where are you from? You said you've seen multiple earths," Alexander commented, drumming his fingers on the small table. "And, if you don't mind me asking, what is your life?"

Ninmast
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Ninmast » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:27 pm

"Ah, I'm from America, a country common to most Earths," she answered directly, nodding to his notation. "I'm what's called a Walker, though. I've got the innate ability to hop realities easy as breathing. Been doing it since I was little."

Adri tilted her head after saying all of that, though. "Sorry, but could you rephrase that last question? I don't understand what you mean by, what is my life."

Sea Lion224
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Sea Lion224 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:21 am

"Oh, sorry," Alexander chuckled. "I meant, what do you do every day? What are your hobbies? Do you have any favorite TV shows or movies? That sort of thing."

Ninmast
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Ninmast » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:08 pm

"Mostly, I travel," she shrugged. "I like seeing new things, so I usually just pick up and go. I don't really have many roots. If I'm not traveling, I'm tinkering. Adventuring is dangerous stuff, so I try to keep my gear in top condition, and I fancy myself a bit of an inventor." She frowned at that, though, and leaned back a bit to consider it. "Nothing new's really struck yet, though. I built an arm computer when I was just a kid, but then smartphones came along and rendered it pretty pointless."

Sea Lion224
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Sea Lion224 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:07 pm

"It's still pretty cool, though. It sounds very similar to those fit bands. I'm assuming your gear is just tools and some weapons," the avian stretched out his legs slightly.

Ninmast
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Ninmast » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:27 pm

She chuckled at that, half bemused and that slight shade of insulted where you know it wasn't intended to be insulting. "Unless your idea of fit bands and mine are totally different, that's a pretty awful comparison. This was a fully functioning computer with a whole suite of tricks, including turning itself invisible if you didn't want people to know you had it, and an omniport interface. If it was digital, the thing could interface with it, wirelessly or by a cable that changed to fit whatever socket it needed." Adri used a pause to take another drink from her nog, finishing that glass, and she poured another while she spoke again. "Seemed like a cool idea at the time, but it turns out USBs are way more aptly named than their creator intended. A software side translator is usually all that's needed. And yeah, I've replaced it with my smartphone, but I didn't exactly buy it, and if I had, I could have just traveled to whatever futuristic world had the best deal and never have to upgrade for life."

She pulled her device out and set it on the table between them. It had a large screen and lacked a protective casing, which seemed oddly unprepared for adventuring until she explained. "I threaded a layer of graphene and carbon fiber through the case, so it's almost impossible to accidentally damage. Even managed a few nanometers in the screen. It's tougher than bulletproof glass, and more powerful than anything short of a B64 quantum processor. I tried fitting one of those in there, but ran into size and heating issues. I wrote the OS, myself, and best of all, it has no roaming." She grinned at that one. Yeah, it'd make sense reality hopping might incur a few roaming charges ...

Adri leaned back again. "And yeah, you're right, aside from the whole Walker thing, I'm not what you'd call a powered individual, so I rely a lot on my gear and quick thinking to get me through stuff. Still, even if I did have powers, a good set of the right tools can get you out of any pickle."