Happy New Year, Collectivities!
Wishing you all a wonderful 2019!

Come chat with us on the officially unofficial Collective Discord.
Remembering to vote here and here every day is the leading cause of community growth, so keep it up! We've also just joined a new Directory, where you can vote for us here

[IC - Tavern] The Sanctum

The home of the Collective and its accumulated knowledge regarding the multiverse. The Ark contains profiles of all personas, characters, and worlds known to The Collective as well the records of its history and continuing story.

Moderators: Forge, Sammy

Sea Lion224
Wanderer
Wanderer
Class: Adventurer

Re: [IC - Tavern] The Sanctum

Post by Sea Lion224 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:41 pm

The avian flew in, donning a fur Santa hat. He halted to gaze at the festive scenery with widened eyes and an open beak. There were logs, pre-lit and decorated pine trees, a bond fire in the center, falling snow...it looked as if Christmas threw up in here!
Grinning brightly, he started flying about excitedly then abruptly stopped, as he came within inches of colliding into one of the trees. This place was just far too beautiful to be going crazy in. Alexander landed clumsily to the ground, pleasantly surprised at how soft the snow was. Standing and dusting himself off, he slowly walked beside the trees, touching them as gently as possible.
The chilly breeze blew, sending a chill through his body. Alexander peaked through the forest and saw the sanctum had more in store. The birdman moved through carefully, the orbes jingling as he did so and came to the small lounge area. Moving to one of the cushions, he pushed it towards the table then went to retrieve a red and green blanket with snowflakes on it from one of the piles. Wrapping himself tightly in the thick fabric, Alexander sat with a content sigh and poured himself a cup of hot coco. He tested it with his tongue and pulled the mug away at the burning sensation and gently placed it on a saucer that just appeared.
A soft tune played in the background, one the birdman recognized. Clearing his throat, he inhaled deeply and began singing, his somewhat effeminate voice on pitch and possessing fast vibrato:
"Have yourself a merry little Christmas,
let your heart be light.
From now on, our troubles will be out of site.
Have yourself a merry little Christmas,
make the yuletide gay.
From now on, our troubles will be miles away.
Here we are as in olden days
Happy golden days of yore
Faithful friends who are dear to us
Gather near to us once more
Through the years, we all will be together
if the fates allow.
Hang a shining star upon the highest bough.
So have yourself a merry little Christmas now."
Last edited by Sea Lion224 on Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GamerScribe
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by GamerScribe » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:07 am

Cold. Not brutally or bitterly so, but just enough that the word was the first thought to spring to the mind of the Scribe as he alighted on the snow-covered ground of the Sanctum through a fire-lit tear in space. Clad in a heavy leather apron and gloves and wearing over-sized goggles that seemed to have lenses as thick as fists his newly aquired workman's tan and smith's outfit seemed at odds with the scenery. Touching one ink-stained fingetip to the back of his neck he began to trace a line down the apron's strap and his fingertip flitted in the quick and uneven strokes of someone scrawling a note in finger-paints.

The uniform fit for the forge began to shift and swell, turning in on itself and returning the Scribe to his usual coat before augmenting itself with a trim of green flames that died down into a soft white faux-fur and a heavy mantle that would keep him warn. The soot and heat-seared tinge of his skin began to ripple along his form and collected into a small dark orb in the center of his hand that he tossed back into the portal through which he'd stepped to arrive. There was, to those with keen senses, a modicum of frustrated yelling and cursing from the area he'd just left which died out as the portal snapped closed.

The snow wasn't the only thing which had changed. There were decorations seemingly everywhere; a riotous flurry of luxurious ornamentation that at one time would have been completely alien to him...

Long ago...
"So... it's a glass bauble, then? That's what you called me all this way for, Catevahn? I must say I'm disappointed." The Scribe was younger in his memory. Not in form, but in the eyes, in his mannerisms. He held himself with more self-confidence and far less certainty all at once. A contradiction of youth that they could project such absolute and impossible surety whilst feeling that they comprehended nothing of the world around them.

"It isn't just a bauble, Samel; its an ornament. Like the totems they hang over doorways on Year's First in order to appease the gods." The speaker was a bright-eyed young man with dark skin, white hair and a thick fur coat reminiscent of the one that the Scribe of the present wore. As he spoke winter's chill caused the air in his lungs to expel in a mist from his mouth.

"And to which deity are the mortals making bright spheres of glass to hang about windows?" The Scribe... Samel... asked increduously.

"Well; I wouldn't exactly call myself a deity, brother." The tutelary spirit of hope teased lightly.

"Y... they're praising you?" The younger concept considered this with an appropriate amount of skepticism, shock and awe.

"Thanking me at the very least. During the winter these last few years I've been offering them a bit of aid... leaving a bit of firewood, some coal as well as some food and water." He spoke with pride, with joy and with the earnest decency of a truly good soul.

"So this family has been... offering you worship?" Still confused the Scribe tossed the glass sphere back and forth between his hands.

"Actually... it isn't just the one family. Most of the valley has started to..."

Present Day
Blinking back tears brought about by the recollection the Scribe listened to the birdman's song and composed himself. Setting his shoulders and shaking his head he collected his thoughts once more. He wasn't home. This wasn't his world. He wasn't going to run into old friends, or family. This was Christmas. The mortals were praising Santa Claus, the tutelary successor to the sanctified Nicholas of Myra and Bari, and the evolved personification of Father Christmas and Wodan.

Sniffling slightly the man made himself presentable again and settled into place near the bonfire.

"Nice song." The Scribe offered genuinely as he began to rummage through his pockets for something.
Image Signature by Sammy, Team Zeus Icon by Forge, Avatar by MiseryGK

Sea Lion224
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Sea Lion224 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:02 am

With a start and alarmed caw, Alexander turned to the right and saw the scribe, the same man who had scared him to death previously. He shuttered inwardly. Though some time passed since then, that incident still bothered him occasionally.
Alexander's cheeks turned bright pink. "Uh...thanks."
Picking up his cup of coco, the bird took a sip and smiled contentedly at the soothing warmth it provided. He wasn't a big coco drinker, but this was good stuff.

Ninmast
Journeyman
Journeyman
Class: Paladin

Post by Ninmast » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:10 pm

Adri found herself in the Sanctum yet again, and decided to make the most of it, but had a heck of a time deciding how. It wasn't until she looked at a calendar in her quarters that she realized the time of year it was. She moved into the kitchenette, then, and began sorting through what she had in the thing. Yeah ... yeah, this would work ...

The young woman went strolling down the hall whistling a holiday tune, arms crossed behind her head and a bottle of something dangling from her fingers. There had to be somebody around to split this nog with. It wasn't something meant to be enjoyed alone. Heh, maybe she'd find that miniature of Darkblade and see how the thing responded to alcohol. Nah, that'd probably land her in serious trouble if it worked, and the little tyke would drink the whole bottle with none for her either way. Ah well, there had to be someone lounging around in the holiday spirit.

Sea Lion224
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Sea Lion224 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:26 pm

Alexander sat at the small table in the lounging area. A soft smile was on his feathered face as he held a piping cup of coco between his slender hands and wrapped in a red and green blanket with snowflakes on it. He summoned a small fireplace in the center, which provided a bit more warmth. He began singing along with the next tune, effeminate voice on pitch and having fast vibrato:
"Sleigh bells ring, are you listenin'?
In the lane, snow is glistenin'.
A beautiful sight, we're happy tonight,
Walkin' in a winter wonderland..."

Ninmast
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Ninmast » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:31 pm

Adri paused at the sound of quiet singing and poked her head into the sitting room there. "In the meadow, we can build a snowman, and pretend that he is Parson Brown!" she announced herself. "Hey there, got room for one more in here?" She brought the bottle around and held it before her, it was a fairly generic gallon glass jar, but what was inside looked like thick milk. "I made homemade egg nog and figured I'd try to find somebody to split it with."

Sea Lion224
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Sea Lion224 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:56 pm

Alexander nearly jumped out of his skin at the sound of the voice. Turning around, face beat red, he saw a young woman holding a large bottle. He never tried egg nog before, so he put on his best smiled and replied a bit shakily, "Um sure."
Standing, he went to retrieve another cushion and blanket and pulled them to the right side of the table and quickly patted the new seat, before sitting back down.

Ninmast
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Ninmast » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:01 pm

"Thanks!" she replied and knelt on the cushions as she pulled out a pair of glasses from a hip pack. She definitely looked and sounded American, but she sat like an Easterner. Cultural exposure, perhaps? "This isn't really something you should drink by yourself, you know? It's meant to be shared." She poured equal portions into the tall glasses, then slid one his way. "Not often I'm around here with just time to enjoy things, any time I try, something usually starts blowing up in short order. I'm Adri, pleasure to meet you."

Sea Lion224
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Sea Lion224 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:07 pm

"Thanks," the birdman replied. He took a small sip and nearly gagged at the bitter taste. He chuckled and extended a feathered hand. "Uh...sorry, guess egg nog isn't my thing. I'm Alexander. Nice to meet you, too, sweetie."

Ninmast
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Ninmast » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:15 pm

"Pleasure!" Her face went more apologetic, though. "Sorry, is it too much sugar? Too much brandy? Maybe too much vanilla?" She sipped it, herself, though truth be told, she'd tried it while she was making it, she wasn't that braindead. "Maybe I made it too much to my tastes." But then she shrugged and grinned. "Ah well, maybe it's just an acquired taste! I've heard it's better with rum and cognac, and I had the rum, but I don't drink cognac, so I went with the old standby."

After a moment, what he said struck her again. "Wait, don't tell me you've never had egg nog before?"

Sea Lion224
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Sea Lion224 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:20 pm

"No, I haven't. I think it's just different taste buds is all," the birdman responded, pushing aside the glass of egg nog and taking another sip of his coco.

Ninmast
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Ninmast » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:35 pm

"Really?" she asked. "Strange. That's hot cocoa, isn't it? They should be similar levels of sweet."

But she shrugged it off and changed the topic, though it was a pity she was technically not going to be sharing the nog after all. "You have a nice singing voice, by the way, very unique." Suddenly, Adri broke into a grin, her thought amusing her even if he probably wouldn't get the internal joke. "Sure is a lot better to listen to than a bunch of off-key reptiles, that's for sure."

Sea Lion224
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Sea Lion224 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:39 pm

Once again, Alexander's face turned red. Singing wasn't his profession. He didn't think his vocal ability was all that great. The bird laughed nervously. "Uh, thanks, glad you think so. And, I think some reptiles can sing better than me."

Ninmast
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Ninmast » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:43 pm

"These sure couldn't!" she insisted, still grinning. "All of them were on a different key, and not one of them the right one! None of them at the same speed, either, come to think of it." She leaned back a bit in thought. "Heh, they were having a blast, though, and I suppose that's the important part."

The red-jacketed young woman turned her attention back to the bird. "So what about you? You don't look like an Earthling, but you clearly know of the holiday season. What's your story?"

Sea Lion224
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Sea Lion224 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:52 pm

"Oh, well, I'm from a world where many species live together. It's basically Earth, and humans are there, too," the avian briefly stood to pour himself another mug of coco. "I'm assuming you're from Earth?"

Ninmast
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Ninmast » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:07 pm

That grin sprung back suddenly. "Yeah, but you might as well assume I'm from a planet. There's basically infinite versions of the place, so it's nearly impossible for me to tell you which one. Is your place the same way, an alternate reality, or is it actually another planet?"

Sea Lion224
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Sea Lion224 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:19 pm

"Um, I think it's another planet..." he didn't know which was which. Were planets and alternate realities the same? Alexander looked away in slight embarrassment.

Ninmast
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Ninmast » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:29 pm

"You think?" Adri asked, arching an eyebrow and quirking her head at that. "Are you guys not to a level with astronomy yet?" Her eyes widened and then quickly narrowed again in apology. "Sorry, that was rude of me. After a while, you get used to encountering a standard tech level, I shouldn't jump to assumptions."

Sea Lion224
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Sea Lion224 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:37 pm

"It's okay," he suddenly blinked in realization and smiled brightly. "Oh, now I remember! My world is a planet! An ulternate earth, you could say."

Ninmast
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Ninmast » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:43 pm

But at that, Adri just looked confused. Of course it was a planet, it physically had to be unless it was one of those weird space zoos. But she pushed it away and put on an attempt at a smile instead. "An alternate Earth it is, then. Maybe I'll come visit sometime! I don't think I've been to yours yet."