It's Writing Month!

Check out our One Stop Writing Shop!
Whether you're taking part in NaNo, or just looking to write more, there's something for everyone.

Scheduled Maintenance
06 Nov, 11:30pm MST - 07 Nov, 11:30pm MST
You may experience minor interruptions, but the site will remain active!

Come chat with us on the officially unofficial Collective Discord.
Remembering to vote here and here every day is the leading cause of community growth, so keep it up! We've also just joined a new Directory, where you can vote for us here

[IC - Tavern] The Sanctum

The home of the Collective and its accumulated knowledge regarding the multiverse. The Ark contains profiles of all personas, characters, and worlds known to The Collective as well the records of its history and continuing story.

Moderators: Forge, Sammy

BrookeDi
Wanderer
Wanderer
Class: Rogue

Re: [IC - Tavern] The Sanctum

Post by BrookeDi » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:20 am

Ember had delighted in normalcy returning to the Ark. She wasn't a runner; physical activity, in general, wasn't much of a strong suit for the young lawyer. When the faux-Olympics ended, she was happy for the return of her skirts and suit jackets. The one thing that she hadn't enjoyed was the disappearance of their fearless leader. At some point in the chaos, she had managed to give G her gift (this time the story of Peter Pan written in Elvish), but aside from that, she hadn't had much time to reunite with her friend.

Months passed like nothing. Ember had been incredibly behind on paperwork and had taken the time at the Sanctum to catch up on motions, briefs, and... well, a little indulgent reading.

Suddenly summer was over, and it was October. Like she had blinked and time had passed, though she knew that wasn't exactly the case. Deciding she was in need of a significant break from work (something not induced by the gods), Ember took to wandering the halls of the Ark until she came upon the Sanctum. It looked like Halloween threw up in here. Sitting amid the orange and black decorations, was her old friend--looking a part of the scenery herself: a ghostly looking creature, reading a Steven King novel in a creepy looking chair.

A smile quirked at the corners of the lawyer's lips, and she cleared her throat, aiming to get G's attention. "Happy Halloween, friend."
"Who would give a law to lovers? Love is unto itself a higher law." - Boethius
"There's nothing wrong with you. There's a lot wrong with the world you live in." - Chris Colfer

Sea Lion224
Newcomer
Newcomer
Class: Adventurer

Post by Sea Lion224 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:53 am

He felt himself floating back into consciousness. Rolling onto his back, he stretched, sighing as tight muscles expanded and blood coursed through his body. With a yawn, the birdman slowly pushed himself upright, eyes blinking open. Surprise crossed his face at the change of scenery. He was in a circular cave with a waterfall and pool. Candels were mounted on the walls and on a table in the center, the surrounding six chairs having witch's hats and pumpkins on them. To the right, there were two clawed armchairs, an etherial woman occupying one of them. Glancing the opposite direction, he saw a group of pumpkins, each with a letter on them that spelled 'happy Halloween.'
Wait...what? His beak fell open when it slowly dawned on him: it was Halloween! How long had he been asleep? It seemed like yesterday he was running as fast as he could in the summer olympics. Emitting an alarmed caw, Alexander flew out of bed and towards the nearest portal, feathers and sheets scattering all over the ground.

Georgeanna
Journeyman
Journeyman
Class: Thief

Post by Georgeanna » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:10 pm

Looking up in surprise, G quickly dog-eared her page and shot out of the chair, throwing the cat plush toy that had been tucked next to her out of its accustomed spot and onto the floor.

“Happy Halloween, human Ember,” she replied in perfect Elvish, with a proud looking grin on her face. “I see you’ve finally decided to temporarily give up occupational related activities. Excellent choice; I approve,” the ghostly woman continued in English. She had hardly seen Ember at all in the past few months, both of them so inherently busy.

“So what do you think—“ a panicked yelp filled the area, causing G to stop midquestion and whirl around to find the source. There she saw someone hurrying, to where she didn’t know.

“Are you quite alright?” she asked, floating over.

Sea Lion224
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Sea Lion224 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:29 pm

Alexander stopped mid-flight and whipped around to face the ghostly woman, anxious molt drifting to the ground behind him. The birdman panted, "It...It's Halloween, and... I'm not ready!"
Facing forward again, he flew off, calling, "Sorry, sweetie, got to go!"

GamerScribe
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by GamerScribe » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:55 am

On the western edge of the Sanctum a greenish-teal mist began to seep through the wall accompanied with a crash of thunder and a small peal of organ music played in a seasonably chilling assortment. From the center of the mist a figure appeared, his silhouette a peerless void of dark from which no light escaped save the two small burning green embers which had replaced his eyes. He had a familiar outline, tall and slightly stocky with a romanesque nose and deep-set eyes. The darkness which enveloped him whorled away in a great spiral which came to a sudden crashing halt above his head; the ink of which it was composed spelling out in floating script two words 'Happy Halloween'.

His grand entrance accomplished the Scribe peered around a bit to check for rampaging donkeys and then looked down at himself in order to make sense of his own apparel. It seemed that graciously he was still wearing his usual clothes and his many-pocketed coat. The only alteration to his garb being the small enamel jack-o-lantern pin which he himself had placed on his lapel. No assault or alteration thus far which meant he may be able to relax and simply appreciate the holiday. A welcome thing considering recent events both in the sanctum and beyond it's borders.

"Well... someone's been busy. This place looks grand." He stated as he approached the handful of visitors presently taking up space amid the Sanctum. It was a less spectacular sort of decoration than the over-the-top eccentricity that could have occurred had the place simply altered itself, but it showed in itself a care and attention that demanded respect.
Image Signature by Sammy, Team Zeus Icon by Forge, Avatar by MiseryGK

Sea Lion224
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Sea Lion224 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:09 am

A red and gold, avian creature flew down one of the arc's many hallways, the wall-mounted candles making him look as if he was glowing. He tried his hardest to be silent, amber eyes narrowed with intense focus.
For years, Alexander had gone as many non-threatening characters for Halloween, like a cowboy, angel, wizard, and even a unicorn. However, this year, he decided to be something that, he hoped, would scare the living daylights out of everybody. After his mini talk with the ghost girl, he disappeared into the hall and summoned a changing curtain. Minutes later, he emerged, the once white-feathered, blue-eyed birdman now the legendary firebird.
Rounding a corner, he entered the sanctum and immediately noticed the newcomer. His gaze shifted to the human and etherial females. After scanning them thoroughly, he decided the human would be his first victim. Alexander dive-bombed straight for her, ready to grab her with his razor-sharp talons, screeching as loudly as possible.

The_Legion_Ex
Wanderer
Wanderer
Location: In the secret Legion Headquarters of Doom-Inducing Flamboyance
Class: Necromancer

Post by The_Legion_Ex » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:56 pm

And now, a ring of fire silently appears in the Sanctum floor for a short amount of time before releasing what appears to be an apparently familiar masked man wearing an unfamiliar cloak of pure darkness in a hurry. The ring of fire then disappears, revealing what appears to be fancy hologram machines that self-detonate harmlessly after use. His usual colors are now replaced by shades that range from dark purple and dark gray to pitch-black, the L on his mask now replaced by a blood-red Chi Rho; complete with an Alpha and Omega symbol.

This is not Omega L, but a Black Deity Incarnation. It also appears that his abilities will also differ from the original one. But then, what are these differences? It is yet to be know. For now, let's continue with his entrance.

After the sudden appearance, he marches a few steps forward with mighy confidence, with a dark runic sword that, was never used by the original, at his right hand and his cloak of darkness flowing from behind right before putting himself into a halt, and loudly greeting everyone "Happy Halloween! What horrors are to occur, lady and gents of the Ark?".

After this greeting, a dark aura faintly surrounds him like an outer coating of black flames.
The Ex Legion: A squad of underlings under one mind.

BrookeDi
Wanderer
Wanderer
Class: Rogue

Post by BrookeDi » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:20 am

She was not about to embarrass herself with responding in Elvish; hers was elementary, at best, while G had perfected within a few months. She smiled, "I see you read your present." Ember responded. Laughing, the young lawyer shook her head. "Even I have to emerge from work every once in a while. Besides, I've caught up on paperwork, billing, and I haven't taken on anything new, and Halloween is my favorite holiday." She was already thinking of terrifying decorations for her office/room.

Their conversation was cut short by the frantic squawking of a large bird... person... creature. Ember jumped, turning to face the animal as he went on in a panic about his lack of preparation for the holidays. "Guess he's a bigger fan of Halloween then me," she mused out loud, turning her attention back to her old friend as Scribe appeared. She recognized him, vaguely, from the Olympics, so she offered a smile in greeting. "It does look good," she agreed.

Before she could continue her inspection of the Halloween decor, she was interrupted once more by a loud, screeching bird-thing heading straight for her. Ember was often on the receiving end of threats and attacks (she was an attorney and didn't always represent the favored side in a litigation); this was, however, the first time she had ever been attacked while in the Sanctum--just the name should imply that she should be free from attack in this place.

She reacted instinctively, grabbing one of the matching chairs that G had carefully crafted to match with the decoration, and swung it at the incoming creature with outstretched talons. She was mid-swing when she realized that the animal was a member of the Ark and she had to change her plan mid-action. Ember dropped to a crouch, using the chair as a type of shield. "What the hell," she muttered as Alexander passed her by, just barely. She straightened up, returning the chair to the table. "Maybe it's time a take another case after all." She grumbled. Having sharp claws headed toward her face was a little too spooky for her tastes.
"Who would give a law to lovers? Love is unto itself a higher law." - Boethius
"There's nothing wrong with you. There's a lot wrong with the world you live in." - Chris Colfer

Sea Lion224
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Sea Lion224 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:01 am

It wasn't the reaction he hoped for, but it was something. Grinning, Alexander rose higher and looked for his next target. Time to amp it up! Golden eyes locked on the scribe, the phoenix circled around him twice, then dove, talons out, screeching even more ferociously.

GamerScribe
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by GamerScribe » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:50 pm

The Scribe nodded in response to the mild reply he'd been granted and then swept past the assemblage in search of a seat. As he was attempting to find his old rolling chair in the midst of the holiday decorations and in the wake of several complete remodels he took note of a harsh cry and snapped his gaze back at the large avian diving towards him. On instinct one hand flitted to his hip-height coat-pocket, where his armory grimoire was kept with all it's dangerous goodies within... But he's heard this self-same screeching moments ago, and the relatively normal-ish humanoid known as Brooke was still in one piece. That meant either this creature was quite weak, or it was attempting to spread some holiday fear.

Seeing as he himself was practically immortal and a realm-hopping adventurer he didn't have many fears... Poor sentence structure, 5th dimensional Bookwyrms and the gods of his homeworld being pretty much the long and short of it. Which meant he wasn't scared when he was 'attacked'. But it presented an opportunity.

Delightful... The Scribe thought to himself. And it was, really. Good to see people so invested in the holidays. Nevertheless; he hadn't been given the option of a treat and as such he was prepared to meet trick with trick.

"Body fall to ruin, spirit rise as grim; falsify my passing and return the scare to him." He whispered beneath his breath as the screeching creature rounded on his person. As Alexander dove at him the spirit of intellect suddenly gave a jump as though in shock, and this leap put him right in the bird-man's path, making it so that talons tore straight through his chest, leaving him a bloodied heap upon the floor.

Green smoke coalesced above Alexander and formed itself into a massive black vulture with a cracked skull for a head held together with emerald flames and wing-tips curved like the blades of a scythe. Looking for all like some kind of avian grim reaper. The entity extended one wing and gave an ominous point at the creature who had 'killed' The Scribe.

Sea Lion224
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Sea Lion224 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:43 pm

Alexander froze after he felt his talons go through the man's chest. Gazing down, he gasped, eyes widening in horror at the results. There, laying in a pool of his own blood, was the scribe. Hyperventilating, he fell to the ground beside him and pressed two fingers to his neck, but felt no pulse.
He killed a man. What was supposed to be a startling little trick ended up being a murder.
"No...no...no..." the birdman tried again, but still, no heartbeat. Shaking his head furiously, he shook the injured man vigorously and waited.
Tears fell down his feathered face as reality slowly sank in. This man was dead...and it was his fault. Looking down at his feet, his face paled at the sight of the blood spattered on them...the scribe's blood.
Sobbing mournfully, the birdman collapsed on top of his victim, shaking. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm so, so, so sorry! It...i-it was only a joke! I didn't mean it...I...I..."
He suddenly felt eyes on him. Alexander gazed up at the grotesque, vulture-like creature, who was pointing what he presumed to be an accusatory wing at him. Its appearance and the current situation made him feel close to fainting and vomiting.
This...this was too much! The birdman tilted his head back and screamed as loud as he could. He completely broke down, laying on the scribe's lifeless body and sobbing painfully, body trembling hard.

GamerScribe
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by GamerScribe » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:47 pm

The vulture-headed monstrosity raised it's talons to the back of it's skull and gave a scratch, looking around awkwardly. A moment passed, then two, and it finally clicked it's non-existent tongue in distaste and decided enough was enough. For the first few seconds scaring the bird-boy had been entertaining, but now it was just sad.

"To pacify this weeping feathered creature, allow my corpse to recall its greatest feature. Body and soul, become whole." Words were power for The Scribe. Rhymes on the other hand were just flavor and entirely unnecessary, but they helped as a sort of mental palate cleanser to scrub away the worry over distressing the being before him.

The Scribe's eyes shot open with two pinpoints of flickering green flame settled within them slowly subsiding and leaving behind calm brown orbs. He sat up, brushed a hand over the gore which promptly settled itself back into place and sealed up, and then looked at Alexander with an awkward half-smile and a raised brow.

"Um... boo?"

Sea Lion224
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Sea Lion224 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:57 pm

The birdman jumped out of his skin when the man bolted upright. Panting and still crying, he stared at him with a mix of shock, horror, and confusion. He blinked, causing some tears to drip down his front and onto his feathered hands. Briefly covering his eyes, he removed the gold contacts, one on each index finger. They disappeared, and Alexander blinked his now deep blue eyes twice. This man was dead a moment ago...but here he was, alive and completely unharmed.
"H-h-how...what...I-I-I...how are you..." he hiccuped and sniffed loudly. "I...I k-killed you...I killed you! I'm sorry!""

The_Legion_Ex
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by The_Legion_Ex » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:55 pm

Noticing a lack of response, he proceeds to make a bored attempt on giving an applause to himself, right before being gradually noticing the sound of what might be a 'spooky happening' that involves 'demon-birds' fighting each other with pure ferocity and rage. But for some very odd reason, one of those demon birds happen to be crying... Crying over its victim..... "This is odd, demon birds don't cry.", he said to himself "It might be an actual demon though, a vile beast that pretends to be a woman lost in this world, waiting for her prince charming to arrive and serve its hungry beak that serves as its its gaping maw."

Out of curiosity, he carefully but swiftly treads the Sanctum floor, allowing the sound of this odd occurrence to guide him towards the source of this mysterious weeping. Afterall, there does not seem to be much people present in this area for him to terrorize with his apparent buffs.

...... The sound becomes louder as he went closer......... And the shadows begin to slide into his sight........ He stopped a bit and silently made a summoning gesture, resulting to a summoned entity appearing silently. This entity appears to be partially humanoid, its lower body replaced by three large tentacle-like arms tipped with razor-sharp spikes of keratin-like substance. Its upper body also seems to lack any skin, apparently made of mostly muscle and keratin-like substance mixed together into an exoskeleton like membrane, with its human-like fingers ending with extremely sharp claws and a large mouth lined with abnormally sharp teeth replaces the entirety of its face.

This monster of flesh is sent by lone figure to silently observe the surroundings with a special sense that is only exclusive for the monster itself. It slowly slithers its way towards the scene and silently observes Alexander crying, barely showing its presence in the shadows as it stands upright. Aside from the reconnaissance that it can serve as, it can also serve as a little scare for them if they notice it secretly spying at them in absolute silence.

Sea Lion224
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Sea Lion224 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:56 am

"I'm not a demon! This is just a costume!" Alexander cried, having heard what the original said. He looked down at his feet and swallowed the bile in his throat. The blood was still there. Gazing back up, he noted the small smile on the scribe's face, which did nothing to lessen his mood. "This isn't funny! I killed you! How are you even a-alive?"
The birdman was so caught up in the current situation, he failed to notice the grotesque being watching him.

GamerScribe
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by GamerScribe » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:22 pm

"Well; for starters you didn't kill me. I did. You would have had to put a good deal more effort into it to have managed." He waggled his fingers and green sparks crackled from his fingertips, the same color as the eminent light which had shone through the shattered skull of the vulture psychopomp.

"And even if you had I'd have been fine. Death is more of a stumbling block than a stop for me. Inconvenient, but not an cessation of my overall self. So relax. You aren't a murderer. You're just someone who lost in the game of frights." He snapped his sparking fingers and the green flame coalesced into a small sphere which faded away to reveal a piece of candy which he promptly flicked towards Alexander.

He clocked the floating... whatever it was... out of the corner of his eye, but as it had not yet attacked there was no real need for concern. he'd met eldritch horrors that were actually quite delightful conversationalists before so the fact it was quiet and a bit odd didn't really register on his fear-meter.

Sea Lion224
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Sea Lion224 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:39 am

"Oh...thanks," was all the bird managed to say. He caught the candy, which happened to be a hershey kiss and ate it. He calmed slightly, cries subsiding. Summoning some tissues, he wiped his face clean and shakily stood to his feet, tissues disappearing. Turning about, he gasped and squawked in fear at the monstrosity

The_Legion_Ex
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by The_Legion_Ex » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:48 pm

The abomination silently slithered towards the group, revealing the pulsating veins and muscles that make up its very being as it leaves a trail of what appears to be a mixture of rust and blood. It then stays still upon getting near enough from the group, before partially extending its right arm towards the bird-man, only intending to scare it as it is unaware of what actually happened prior to its summoning.

Meanwhile, 'Omega' silently spectates from a hidden corner, curious about what will follow next.

Sea Lion224
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Sea Lion224 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:31 am

Alexander tensed and started backing away in terror as the being came closer. What was this...creature, and what in the world did it want with him and the others? Now quaking and molting, he eyed it for a split second then turned away when his stomach lurched. When it extended its tentacle-like appendage toward him, the bird shrilled and screamed, flying as fast as possible out of the sanctum to hide.