Image Happy Spooky Month! Image
Image

Check out the Olympic Finale!
An end to Olympian meddling - and a goodbye to a familiar face.


Halloween Hijinks!
Spooky goings on in the Sanctum!
A Creepy Collective Scavenger Hunt!
Our 'Terrifying Twos' two-line tale task!



Come chat with us on the officially unofficial Collective Discord.
Remembering to vote here and here every day is the leading cause of community growth, so keep it up! We've also just joined a new Directory, where you can vote for us here

[IC - Tavern] The Sanctum

The home of the Collective and its accumulated knowledge regarding the multiverse. The Ark contains profiles of all personas, characters, and worlds known to The Collective as well the records of its history and continuing story.

Moderators: Forge, Sammy

Glassdoor
Wanderer
Wanderer
Posts: 124
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:08 am
Gender: Male
Class: Necromancer

Re: [IC - Tavern] The Sanctum

Post by Glassdoor » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:40 am

And then yet another appearance took place, this time in a form of a cloud loaded with yellow sparks, growing bigger and bigger, and then suddenly imploding, showing a mildly yet visibly hunched stranger dressed in gray robes with hood covering his face, coughing uncontrollably.
"Note to self" murmured Lester in breaks between the coughs "Find and eliminate the line creating the dramatic entrance in waygate's spell formula. Way too flashy and fatiguing." He looked around. "So this is the 'Place where the Travellers through the Worlds meet'. Do the Ancients always have to be so vague in their books, Tommy?" He turned to the levitating, enchained book tied to him by the rope. The book trembled slightly, as if in response to the question. "They could've at least attached a map or a description to the formula." He finnally noticed the group standing in the distance. "Huh. Those must be the Travellers. They seem to have been conversating for quite a while now. I wonder..." The Librarian muttered something under his nose and made a complicated gesture. Then a mild wind blew towards him, all group's conversations since half an hour whispering to his ear. The book hit Lester's shoulder and he winced slightly, looking at the book with pretense. "Come on, Tommy, Zephyr's Echoes of the Past isn't an eavesdropping spell. It helps blend into already started conversations more easily. Now don't distract me, I want to listen." He let the wind whisper, and as he listened, he became more and more surprised. "So we have two lost people, one of which has multiple alternate versions of himself which he can 'feel', one godlike... Creature able to create materialistic avatars for themselves and apparently above emotions... And a recently joined demon... Let's go introduce ourselves, shall we?" And not caring for the book's frantic signals to wait for at least a moment, Lester approached the group.

User avatar
neonnarratives
Scrub
Scrub
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:05 pm
Gender: Female
Class: Pirate

Re: [IC - Tavern] The Sanctum

Post by neonnarratives » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:01 pm

Lumeus wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:39 am
Turning toward the new arrival with knowing eyes and a warm smile, Lumeus held the plate out for her perusal. “Certainly. I recommend the Jammie Dodgers.” And in case she had never heard of those, he added, “They are the ones with the red jelly hearts in the center.”
Neon managed a small smile before picking up a biscuit, take a small nibble off the side. "Thank you..." She said quietly before looking around, eyeing their surroundings. "This is nice." To be honest, it really wasn't. She never liked cookies, but she felt she should be polite. She continued nibbling on the biscuit before clearing her throat once more and looking at the two men with wide eyes. "I was... I was dropped off here by a ship? A man... he's rather large... With a red beard and green eyes... Have you perhaps seen him?" Even the slightest lead to her missing crew would be a huge help.

She was about to explain more till a figure dropped down beside her, causing her to jump in surprise, the biscuit falling to the ground.
DaughteroftheFlame wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:49 am

So she leapt down, making sure to land right next to the human as the treats were offered. "Ah, you're offering treats now?" She says more as a statement than a question, plucking a treat for herself and munching on it.

She was sure to make a show of noticing the human, her eyes glowing a crimson hue as she looks over, and eyebrow raised. "Oh, and who's this? A friend of yours?"

Where in Poseidon's name am I?


With eyes wide in both fear and intrigue, Neon did not respond, instead choosing to stare at the creature now picking at the platter of biscuits. "I... Well- I..."
Glassdoor wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:40 am
"So we have two lost people, one of which has multiple alternate versions of himself which he can 'feel', one godlike... Creature able to create materialistic avatars for themselves and apparently above emotions... And a recently joined demon... Let's go introduce ourselves, shall we?" And not caring for the book's frantic signals to wait for at least a moment, Lester approached the group.
Neon's head all but swivelled around at the sound of a newcomer. Her eyes widened even more at the man accompanied by what looked like levitating books (because surely, they weren't levitating books, as books don't levitate... she thinks...). "This is too crazy of a rabbit hole for me to be in..." She muttered to herself before allowing a shaky smile to appear on her face. Everything seemed so extraordinary in this world, and with her being so terribly... ordinary to begin with, she couldn't help but feel out of place. Certainly the Captain did not think she'd be alright on her own here.

"Neon... by the way... My name is Neon."
Image
Check out my PERSONA

User avatar
DaughteroftheFlame
Traveller
Traveller
Posts: 620
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:19 pm
Location: Oregon, US
Gender: Female
Class: Adventurer

Re: [IC - Tavern] The Sanctum

Post by DaughteroftheFlame » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:10 am

A smile was to be had as the human, as expected, was rather uncomfortable in her presence. Happy that her goal seemed to be achieved, Sallos kept munching on the cookie as a more experienced looking newcomer came along. He was a mage from the magic winds that surrounded him, and that made her sigh. Oh how she hated mages sometimes, meddling in things they aren't quite ready for and somehow being able to pull it off without consequences.

Really, they were rather annoying when they were smug about it.

But, putting her personal issues with his kind aside, she had to note that the levitating books were a nice touch. It's a shame that she wasn't really a bookworm, despite liking to read, because she totally would have copied him as was her style. But alas, she really wasn't into it, and thus simply turned and looked at him as he approached.

Her wide and fanged smile greeted him before turning to the girl, although it was mainly to freak out the now named Neon further. "Ah, well it's nice to meet you Neon! I am Sallos, at your service!" She almost considered saying her true name, just to give Neon a headache, but decided that she wasn't that type of demon. Not now anyways.
Image

User avatar
Lumeus
Traveller
Traveller
Posts: 912
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:22 am
Location: Oklahoma
Gender: Male
Class: Mage
Contact:

Re: [IC - Tavern] The Sanctum

Post by Lumeus » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:47 am

neonnarratives wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:01 pm
"I was... I was dropped off here by a ship? A man... he's rather large... With a red beard and green eyes... Have you perhaps seen him?" Even the slightest lead to her missing crew would be a huge help.
There weren’t enough details in her account for Lumeus to give a helpful answer, but he pondered her words none-the-less. She was dropped off here? Based on her manner of dress the ship she mentioned was probably a seafaring vessel. Either the captain of the ship knew where to find a portal to the Ark, or the Ark had taken the girl and she mistakenly thought she had been dropped off here. The Ark would know exactly where to find the red bearded man she was looking for. The real question was did the Ark want her to find him.
DaughteroftheFlame wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:49 am
She was sure to make a show of noticing the human, her eyes glowing a crimson hue as she looks over, an eyebrow raised. "Oh, and who's this? A friend of yours?"
Lumeus almost replied that the two had just met, and were only acquaintances, but the demon switched her focus before he could speak so he decided her question had been a rhetorical one.

Lumeus held the plate of cookies out to the side, and, seemingly of its own accord, a tree began to steadily grow out of the ground directly below the plate. The trunk thickened until it was twelve centimeters in diameter, but the limbs that sprouted from the top were stunted, and grew outward in an odd spiral pattern instead of upward. When the tree reached the plate Lumeus was holding, the buds growing at the tips of the branches suddenly flowered creating a leafy green ring around the edge. Lumeus let go of the plate and it was suddenly apparent that the tree was not a tree but an organic table.
neonnarratives wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:01 pm
"Neon... by the way... My name is Neon."
“Welcome aboard the Ark, Neon. My name is Lumeus. I do not believe I have met the man you are searching for, but…” Lumeus seemed distracted for just a second, the light in his eyes moving back and forth like he was reading something. “I am certain the members of the Collective will be able to assist you in finding The Queen’s Pearl and this “Captain” of yours.”
Last edited by Lumeus on Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image

Glassdoor
Wanderer
Wanderer
Posts: 124
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:08 am
Gender: Male
Class: Necromancer

Re: [IC - Tavern] The Sanctum

Post by Glassdoor » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:43 am

"Name’s Lester Fireglasse, pleasure to meet you all" Lester said, coming up and silencing the Echos spell. He turned to Lumeus. "I have to know, do you create these things with some strange powers of yours or is this whole place capable of shifting one’s thoughts into reality?" He pulled back the hood of his robes, revealing his eyes shining with literal sparks of magical discharges. "Because if it is..." Lester rubbed his hands "I believe I’m going to spend even more time in here than in my beloved Library. Oh, right!” He then turned to Neon "I haven’t heard of a ship you’re describing, but I have thousands of searching spells I’ve been ITCHING to test out. So count me in for whatever endeavor you want to go on!"

User avatar
Lumeus
Traveller
Traveller
Posts: 912
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:22 am
Location: Oklahoma
Gender: Male
Class: Mage
Contact:

Re: [IC - Tavern] The Sanctum

Post by Lumeus » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:43 am

Glassdoor wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:43 am
"Name’s Lester Fireglasse, pleasure to meet you all" Lester said, coming up and silencing the Echos spell. He turned to Lumeus. "I have to know, do you create these things with some strange powers of yours or is this whole place capable of shifting one’s thoughts into reality?" He pulled back the hood of his robes, revealing his eyes shining with literal sparks of magical discharges. "Because if it is..." Lester rubbed his hands "I believe I’m going to spend even more time in here than in my beloved Library.
"In this case, the latter," Lumeus confirmed. "The Sanctum, provided your intentions are not harmful to yourself or others, can create anything you think of." But then Lumeus furrowed his brow. He had intended to punctuate his point with a visual demonstration, but nothing had happened. He tapped his heel against the grass. Still, nothing happened.

"However, at the moment it seems we are limited to smaller scale creations."

That was rather disappointing. Lumeus' favorite thing about the Sanctum was watching the other member's unbridled imaginations run wild with possibility. Then again, now that he was thinking about it, even when there had been free reign over the Sanctum's decor, few of them had ventured into broad transformations.
Image

User avatar
The Game Master
RPGC Official GM
RPGC Official GM
Posts: 83
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:18 am
Location: Near and far.
Gender: My Privates are Private
Class: Pirate

Re: [IC - Tavern] The Sanctum

Post by The Game Master » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:44 am

As the denizens of the Ark began to scatter, making their way back to their rooms or the realms from which they hail from, the Sanctum fell eerily silent save for the intermittent snores of one member of the Collective who had been left to doze peacefully beside the fireside. Though all was quiet, there was an almost imperceptible hum of change in the air as The Sanctum began to prepare for another day. Something in the Ark and, indeed, in the Sanctum itself, appeared to be shifting. And so began...

Day 9

It appears that The Sanctum continues to giving the members of the Collective only limited control over the environment they find themselves in. While they remain able to summon furniture, food, other creature comforts and otherwise manipulate smaller elements of the area around them, the scenery itself seems far more set-in-stone, if you will, than ever before. Whether this is some new trend or a permanent state of affairs is uncertain but any present attempts at large-scale manipulation continues to be met with no response save for a slight buzzing between the ears.

The Sanctum of today bares little resemblance to the Sanctum of yesterday. The large, cave like space is roughly circular though, rather than being ringed by rocky walls, instead it appears that the outer circumference of the Sanctum is today defined by a constant stream of water, like a steadily flowing waterfall that encompasses the entire space. Though it appears impossible to see through to whatever exists beyond the cascading falls, light appears to have no such difficulty and the entire Sanctum is bathed in a soft light that constantly shifts and changes at the whims of the water it travels through. Save for a small pool toward the back of the space (large enough to comfortably hold half a dozen people and heated to a pleasant temperature), the water itself does not impact on the space save for the constant and yet strangely unobtrusive sound of running water. It does not appear that the Ark has taken care of any seating arrangements today, the space, at the day's start, is sparse and yet somehow feels no less comfortable for it.

For those coming and going today, they need only step through the water to go where they need to, whether that be to another part of the Ark or to a different realm altogether. Will they get wet? Well, I suppose that depends entirely on how lucky the member in question is, doesn't it?

User avatar
Andromeda
Wanderer
Wanderer
Posts: 166
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:31 am
Gender: Female
Class: Pirate

Re: [IC - Tavern] The Sanctum

Post by Andromeda » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:53 pm

It had been some time since Andy had visited the Ark or at least, it had been for her. As Artemis began to initiate his docking sequence, she began to wonder why she had decided to return. The CE crisis that had drawn her to the vessel to begin with had been largely rectified (at least for the time being) and though Baron Argyle wasn’t in any great rush to do business with her again, he also no longer wanted her guts for garters. There was, logically, no reason for her to return to the home of the Collective and yet here she was.

“Docking complete, boss,” Artemis chimed with an uncharacteristic degree of professionalism tinged with just enough sarcasm to remind Andy that the ship had the hump wth her. How a ship she had overseen the programming of herself could have the hump to begin with was another question entirely.

“Thank you, Artemis,” she murmured in response from the confines of her black and red exo-suit. “I will be disembarking immediately. Please keep audio visual recording running for the duration of our visit.”

“So you still plan to catalogue your interactions with these people? Why?”

“For the same purposes as before just with significantly less urgency,” she replied with a shrug as she disembarked the ship and stepped out into the familiar and yet endlessly strange energy of the Ark itself. There was no need to say goodbye to Artemis when she was wearing her suit and yet she sensed him whir with irritation all the same. He had definitely been pirating too much television and picking up all manner of bizarrely human expectations and habits.

Stepping into the Sanctum was a vastly different experience than Andy remembered as she stepped through a portal and suddenly found herself stood beneath an endless cascade of water.

“Water detected,” Artemis chirped in her ear.

“Yes, thank you Artemis, I can see that,” she replied with some degree of amusement as the water simply rolled off the material of her suit. “Are you getting this?”

“You asked me to keep all recordings running,” Artemis replied with more than a hint of offence in a voice that ought not to be capable of such things.

“Of course,” she replied, reminding herself as she did countless times a day, to check the AI’s programming when she got a spare moment.

Rolling her eyes, Andromeda stepped into The Sanctum properly and took a good look at her surroundings. She would have thought that she’d arrived somewhere entirely different from her previous visit but despite it having nothing in common with the Sanctum she remembered aesthetically, the familiar feel of the place was unmistakable.
Image

User avatar
Moccasin
Scout
Scout
Posts: 469
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:13 am
Location: The Windy City
Gender: Female
Class: Paladin
Contact:

Re: [IC - Tavern] The Sanctum

Post by Moccasin » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:47 am

A couple hours prior, MOQ arrived at the Ark from a recording session on Earth. After several unsuccessful vocal takes, she felt it necessary to take a break and seek refuge far away from her manager, Steve, who fashioned himself the great enforcer of MOQ's schedule.

The room's new look was hardly better suited to her needs. After slipping on her aquatic exosuit, MOQ dove into the pool, submerging herself for the better part of 2 hours. In this way, the Ark provided her what all her material pleasures, a luxury spaceship and her own satellite, could not: the complete absence of audio-visual stimuli.

Upon hearing Andromeda enter the Sanctum, MOQ emerged wordlessly from the depths and hoisted her arms onto the edge of the pool, her exosuit sparkling in the faint light of the room.

"The water's nice," she said, her antennas swaying sleepily as she tread water. She motioned for Andromeda to join her, her wrists adorned with several blue bracelets. She waited patiently for a response, her large, almond-shaped eyes reflecting the ebb and flow of the water.

User avatar
Andromeda
Wanderer
Wanderer
Posts: 166
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:31 am
Gender: Female
Class: Pirate

Re: [IC - Tavern] The Sanctum

Post by Andromeda » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:27 pm

Moccasin wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:47 am
"The water's nice," she said, her antennas swaying sleepily as she tread water. She motioned for Andromeda to join her, her wrists adorned with several blue bracelets. She waited patiently for a response, her large, almond-shaped eyes reflecting the ebb and flow of the water.
With a light tap to her temple, the helmet portion of her suit receded from her face, revealing a head of pink, blue and silver hair pulled back from her face in a rather messy approximation of a pony tail. As Artemis quietly relayed the little he could gauge from the being in the water (which was approximately nothing and delivered in an overly sarcastic tone), Andy smiled.

"Maybe a little later," she replied, wondering how wise it was to climb into a pool of unknown origin with a creature of the same. Her previous visits to The Sanctum had taught her nothing if not to expect the unexpected from its inhabitants. "I'm Andy, I don't think we've crossed paths on any of my visits here before."
Image

User avatar
Rick
Traveller
Traveller
Posts: 820
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:47 pm
Location: City of Angels
Gender: Male
Class: Pirate

Re: [IC - Tavern] The Sanctum

Post by Rick » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:18 am

Rick spent the better part of a day going through every nook and cranny in his office, trying to find any secret, any machination, any insight into the Ark. Kiri and Benjie helped at first, but Rick found the pair just kept getting in the way –half the time they were taking turns climbing on top of Rick- and were sent back to his private quarters, but not before Benjie knocked over a priceless statue sitting on Rick’s desk. Benjie offered nothing but a middle finger when told to clean it up, running out the door with an excited Kiri following behind.

“Those little rascals,” Rick whispered to himself before falling backwards unto his sofa, letting the giant panorama window in his office display a rainy night in Axuai, a casino city with a beautiful city scape of golds and violets.

The lights dimmed in his office and Prelude to afternoon with a faun by Debussy played over the…well, Rick wasn’t so sure how the Ark played music over his office. There weren’t any noticeable speakers or sound systems to be seen, but Rick had just accepted that the Ark still had a lot of secrets he wouldn’t crack. As his eyes began to feel heavy, every blink one step closer to slumber, a bleep came from his communicator. Rick opened his eyes and with press of a button the notifications on his communicator displayed on the wide panorama window. The Ark had updated the sanctum and two members were already lounging about. Rick narrowed his eyes as the Sanctum was brought into view, instantly recognizing MOQ, but he wasn’t so sure who the intergalactic pop star was talking to.

“Well, I guess this falls under staff duties, can’t have strangers just strolling around the ark,” Rick stood, stretched until his back popped, and then made his way to his desk were he picked up his black bomber jacket and put it over his black and crimson nano armor.

“Ark, to the sanctum, please,” Rick always told the ark his destination before he opened his door, he wasn’t sure if anyone else did it but it felt rude to assume the ark would know where Rick wanted to go.

Rick was greeted with a down pour of water crashing above his head as he stepped through the door, letting out a quick expletive before stepping through the cascade and running his hand through his black hair.

“You know; I knew the sanctum had changed into…. this,” Rick spun his wrist in a circular motion as he walked to the two woman gathered by the pool of water,” and I still got caught, sometimes I think the Ark has a twisted sense of humor.”

Rick took a deep breath and closed his eyes for a moment, before opening them as a bright emerald light shone from his eyes. Rick had summoned the power of Quetzalcoatl to heat up his body and evaporate the water on his hair. After a few seconds the light dimmed, then disappeared completely from Rick’s eyes, leaving small tendrils of steam gently rising from his head.

“The power of an ancient god has it’s uses,” Rick said with a large smile before turning to MOQ,” Taking a break from your tour? Good to see you back here in one piece,” Rick patted MOQ’s head before turning his attention to Andy,” I don’t believe we’ve met, I’m Rick, one of the newest staff members here at the Ark, finding everything okay?”
Image
Image

User avatar
GamerScribe
Journeyman
Journeyman
Posts: 1193
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:00 am
Gender: Male
Class: Adventurer

Re: [IC - Tavern] The Sanctum

Post by GamerScribe » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:10 am

"Power of an ancient god, you say?" Standing beside Rick was a tall man in his late thirties or early forties who almost certainly hadn't been there when Rick said that and whose somewhat disheveled appearance was in stark contrast to his usual calm demeanor. He had a patchy beard which he hadn't sported once in any of his prior iterations, tired and cold eyes that seemed to have no life behind them as well as a somewhat sinister sharpness to his features. Still; he wore the same greatcoat dotted in scales, the same expression of polite interest and had the same ink-stained fingers as ever.

Those same fingers quickly worked free of the bracelet bound about his right wrist and suddenly he seemed to shrink a good four inches, some of the power and poise he usually carried vanishing instantly. Combined with his more malign appearance the water dripping down his features and the frantic tone of his voice made him seem like an escaped mental patient. With shaky hands he reached outwards to try and pass the bracelet to Rick.

"Be a pal; put this on for a minute and just act like I'm not here." His voice was ragged, his words spewed out rapid-fire in a fit of manic necessity.

"When the dogs come... ignore them and go on with your conversation. They're only looking for me and your power should mask that thing. Thanks." He gave a smile and a thumbs-up and vanished from sight as his own eyes flashed with a harsh green light like the glow of nuclear energy in sci-fi movies. Those eyes were the last things to fade.

"Oh. Right. Hi, Andromeda." said a voice from the empty space to Rick's left as he remembered his manners.

"Hi... others. Sorry; bad with names right now." In point of fact he was only able to remember Andromeda because she had once kept a recorded note of him. Things like that had a lot of pull to a being like himself. He pondered to himself whether or not he actually had met these others before... Hard to tell as his thoughts were in shambles. Oh well; proper introductions after.

Two creatures plodded through the water shortly after him. They were... dog-like. Though roughly the size of horse and covered in thick hide like a rhinoceros as opposed to fur. They snuffed along the ground and plodded behind sniffing at the ground by the water for a bit, their wide nostrils flaring and a row of innumerable eyes that seemed to go all the way down their bodies leering in every direction.
Image Signature by Sammy, Team Zeus Icon by Forge, Avatar by MiseryGK

User avatar
Andromeda
Wanderer
Wanderer
Posts: 166
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:31 am
Gender: Female
Class: Pirate

Re: [IC - Tavern] The Sanctum

Post by Andromeda » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:38 pm

Distracted by the entrance of not one but two additional members of the Collective, Andromeda turned awkwardly, experience having taught her never to willingly offer your back to anything with the power to do you serious harm. Unfortunately, the Ark with its bizarre nature and the fact that it seemed that people could enter from any point of the large, circular waterfall rendered those particular instincts rather inconvenient. After a little bit of awkward shuffling, the woman opted to stand side on and very quietly requested that Artemis watch her back while she turned the attention of her gaze to the newcomers.

Despite the fact that it had been some time (at least by her reckoning) since she'd last been in The Sanctum and that she'd met him less than a handful of times to begin with, the first thing she noticed was that Scribe looked very different - ragged and deranged somehow which seemed a stark contrast to the composed and poised memory she had of him. She watched with some discomfort as he approached Rick, a slight desperation to the tone and movement and with a few murmured words to Artemis, Andy put a little extra distance between her and the pair of them.
GamerScribe wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:10 am
"When the dogs come... ignore them and go on with your conversation. They're only looking for me and your power should mask that thing. Thanks." He gave a smile and a thumbs-up and vanished from sight as his own eyes flashed with a harsh green light like the glow of nuclear energy in sci-fi movies. Those eyes were the last things to fade.

"Oh. Right. Hi, Andromeda." said a voice from the empty space to Rick's left as he remembered his manners.
"Uhm. Hi Scribe. Nice to eh... hear you again?" She replied, head turning this way and that and body suddenly tense as though expecting some manner of confrontation. "When you say dogs... should we be worried? What happens if his power doesn't mask that thi-" The last of whatever the woman had hoped to convey was lost to a sharp intake of breath. She wasn't sure whether it was more of a disservice to the large, unpleasant looking creatures or dogs the world over to refer to them as such. Standing as still as she could possibly manage, almost as though hoping that by not moving she might render herself invisible to the creatures, Andy threw Rick a look of alarm. "What do we do?" She whispered as loudly as she dared.
Image

User avatar
Moccasin
Scout
Scout
Posts: 469
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:13 am
Location: The Windy City
Gender: Female
Class: Paladin
Contact:

Re: [IC - Tavern] The Sanctum

Post by Moccasin » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:39 pm

MOQ smiled primly as Rick patted her head, rolling her eyes as he put on his moderator business suit for Andy. He was rarely so professional before his promotion. Not that it was an unwelcome change; she was proud of him for trying to be social once in a while, but if only he didn't make it such a grand gesture. He really didn't act it but he was full of grand gestures. The trick with the light coming out of his eyes was one of them. She knew his game better than anyone; she lived in the spotlight, after all. She felt sad for him sometimes. Limitless power, his own ship, and he still felt the need to impress people. Deep down she despised him for it. Nothing in this world can give you happiness but yourself.

When Scribe appeared behind Rick, raggedy as hell, she snapped out of her reflections. He said something about a couple of dogs. At first she was excited. She had only seen them in pictures. They were peculiar creatures, neither livestock nor family, though some may argue so. Companions. It was strange calling yourself an owner of a living thing and calling yourself its friend. Then again, at least in recent memory, Argontini was inhabited only by humanoids, so she had no experience with such relationships.

So when the mutts showed up to search for Scribe, she was pretty disappointed. They were ugly, even for an alien. They didn't faze her, though. She had seen worse.
Andromeda wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:38 pm
"What do we do?" She whispered as loudly as she dared.
"What he told us to do. Keep on with conversation." MOQ offered Andy a reassuring smile, before turning back to the Rick, a mischievous glint in her eyes. "Why are you here anyway? I mean I get the whole staff thing, but shouldn't you be capturing some space monster right now?" She paused, cocking her head to the side and ignoring the beast nuzzling her arm. "This isn't because of a lack of work is it?"
Last edited by Moccasin on Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Rick
Traveller
Traveller
Posts: 820
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:47 pm
Location: City of Angels
Gender: Male
Class: Pirate

Re: [IC - Tavern] The Sanctum

Post by Rick » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:22 am

Rick narrowed his eyes at MOQ’s impish question; the shapeshifter had a way of getting under his skin with her perfectly crafted jabs, something the adventurer had found endearing…at first. The violently pink individual had a penchant for psychoanalyzing him anytime they were working or travelling together. It would have been cute if it wasn’t just a constant current of sly insults. Rick had explained to her once where his powers came from, the vast, almost limitless power he could tap into if only he could master it, but somehow MOQ had missed the last important tidbit. MOQ would go on and on about how he didn’t have to impress people with his dramatic displays of power, from the crackling whips of energy that radiated from his body when he was angry to the jade light that shone from his eyes whenever he tapped into the power of the ancient serpent god.

The truth was far less theatrical, Rick simply was afraid of being consumed by the power gifted to him, of letting it get out of control to the point that he would no longer be himself, but a being of pure energy, of pure power. The adventurer liked being human, he enjoyed the taste of food, the feeling of a cold brew running down his throat, the touch of a lover, the thrill of barely getting out alive from a dangerous situation. Being a god sounded boring, who wanted to live a life with no challenges?

“I told you once, MOQ, and I’ll tell you again even though I know it will go in one…antenna and out the, uh, other,” Rick grimaced ever so slightly, unsure if MOQ had ears or could actually hear through her antennas,” I don’t need the work, I take the jobs I like. I have plenty to let me live comfortably until every universe in the multiverse collapses into one giant black hole,” hyperbole, but Rick really didn’t need the money, if worst came to worst, he could just live in the Ark, and comfortably too.

The bizarre creatures that had been summoned by Rick inserting Scribe’s ring into his finger were busy sniffing Rick’s legs, one even licked his knee guard. One of the biggest headaches of being staff for the Ark was dealing with the dozens of peculiar members that made the Ark their home. If they weren’t opening portals to a dimension of crystalized hate or using a new member as the basis for some questionable experiment, they were summoning unusual rhino dogs that looked like they could tear apart anyone of them in an instant.

“It’s fine, Andy, it is Andy, right? I’m sure there was a plan that included getting rid of these beasts before they were summoned…I hope. Just, you know, act natural,” Rick gave his best attempt at a reassuring look, but really just gave Andy a curt nod and turned his attention back to MOQ,” Aren’t you supposed to be in the middle of a tour right now? And where are the tickets you promised? Kiri keeps asking about seeing you perform and I don’t have the heart to tell her you completely forgot about her.”
Image
Image

User avatar
GamerScribe
Journeyman
Journeyman
Posts: 1193
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:00 am
Gender: Male
Class: Adventurer

Re: [IC - Tavern] The Sanctum

Post by GamerScribe » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:05 am

The creatures sniffed and padded about, eyeing everything and licking at Rick as though tasting to see if he was what they were after. The larger of the pair sniffed at his hand urgently and loosed a bark that sounded like a half-dozen screaming cats being chased by a growling dragon and the other snapped to attention. They both stood around Rick for a long fer moments in contemplation and hummed and swayed rythmically as though listening to some song no-one but they could hear. They were investigating, and were they humanoid likely would have started interrogating him. Still; they knew enough to know the god-like thing smelled Like the one they were after, and yet it wasn't. With a sudden disinterest they veered in opposing directions to walk away from the group, sniffing around the rest of the Sanctum and ignoring the people there.

"No worries. It worked, otherwise I would be dragged off to a very bad place and you three would be... well, maybe knocked about a bit, but they are well trained enough you'd have made it through with nothing more than bruises and scratches... I think?" There was a looming uncertainty that was far removed from his general know-it-all self. A decidedly worrying one. It was relatively clear that these were more his hopes than his beliefs.

"The plan to be rid of them is simple. They think I'm not here. Eventually they give a cry to their owner and go back home." Scribe's voice was a tinny whisper loosed from somewhere thereabouts Rick's shoulder this time, as one of the creatures had passed back near the group. He was moving around a fair deal for someone who was supposed to be staying quiet. And talking a fair deal as well. Almost as though just staying quiet and still was impossible for him. And really; it wouldn't be so narratively engaging if he wasn't always a moment away from being caught, would it?

"And they weren't summoned, they were sent; but much more importantly... Hello; did someone say tour? Do you write your own music?" His voice took on a sudden enthusiasm and vitality that it had been so desperately missing when he'd entered the Sanctum moments before. He sounded like... well, like himself, but more importantly like he version of himself he usually was. Or... versions? Because there had been several, and they had all been quite different than the current one. They had all shared numerous traits that this haunted, hunted, hollow version was lacking.

Still the creatures seemed to mill about, one of them sinking deep into the pool at the back of the space while the other pawed at the watery wall surrounding the place.
Image Signature by Sammy, Team Zeus Icon by Forge, Avatar by MiseryGK

User avatar
Moccasin
Scout
Scout
Posts: 469
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:13 am
Location: The Windy City
Gender: Female
Class: Paladin
Contact:

Re: [IC - Tavern] The Sanctum

Post by Moccasin » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:25 am

Rick wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:22 am
Rick gave his best attempt at a reassuring look, but really just gave Andy a curt nod and turned his attention back to MOQ,” Aren’t you supposed to be in the middle of a tour right now? And where are the tickets you promised? Kiri keeps asking about seeing you perform and I don’t have the heart to tell her you completely forgot about her.”
MOQ pursed her lips, looking down at her bracelets. She hated being called selfish. “I actually haven’t forgotten about her. I’m just taking a break right now.” MOQ looked up at Rick defiantly, her third eye pulsing with cool anger. “I don’t expect you to understand.” The dogs were walking away then; she sighed as they left, eyeing a puddle in the distance.

As Scribe reassured them of their safety, MOQ laid on her back and stared at the ceiling, the water caressing her face like the dew that gathered on her legs. She spread her stained-glass wings, soft with wetness, like pink onion skin, flicking them occasionally to stay afloat. It didn’t look like it, but she was listening.
GamerScribe wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:05 am
"And they weren't summoned, they were sent; but much more importantly... Hello; did someone say tour? Do you write your own music?" His voice took on a sudden enthusiasm and vitality that it had been so desperately missing when he'd entered the Sanctum moments before.
MOQ stood up in the water. She turned to the strange being, a practiced warmth appearing on her face. “I do. Most of it anyways. I’m a singer.” Her eyes darted to the creature on the other side of room, before returning to Scribe. “Are you a musician yourself?” She was surprised to find his face lit up with enthusiasm. It was strangely affecting. Her getting tired of the music industry probably had something to do with it, but there was a childlike energy to him that caught her off guard.

User avatar
Andromeda
Wanderer
Wanderer
Posts: 166
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:31 am
Gender: Female
Class: Pirate

Re: [IC - Tavern] The Sanctum

Post by Andromeda » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:44 am

Rick wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:22 am
“It’s fine, Andy, it is Andy, right? I’m sure there was a plan that included getting rid of these beasts before they were summoned…I hope. Just, you know, act natural,” Rick gave his best attempt at a reassuring look, but really just gave Andy a curt nod and turned his attention back to MOQ.
Depite the nonplussed reassurances from both Rick and MOQ both of whom were acting like giant canine like creatures were nothing out of the ordinary, Andy's eyes remained glued to dog beasts as the marauded about the Sanctum, wondering how on earth Rick could remain so calm and casual as they approached him to investigate. She felt her stomach lurch and her muscles tense as though prepared to fight or run as one of the creatures went so far as to lick him. If possible, this place was even stranger than she remembered.

"Don't forget to breath, Boss," Artemis murmured in her ear, drawing her attention to the soft beep of her suit informing her of her spiking pulse and lack of oxygen. Nodding at no one in particular, Andy took a long, calming breath as she considered the words of the currently disembodied Scribe.

"So, Scribe. Would it be prying if I asked why someone has sent two enormous dog monsters after you?"
Image

User avatar
GamerScribe
Journeyman
Journeyman
Posts: 1193
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:00 am
Gender: Male
Class: Adventurer

Re: [IC - Tavern] The Sanctum

Post by GamerScribe » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:44 pm

"Ah... not now. Once upon a time, perhaps. Another world, another me. I used to sing a fair bit. And I was fairly skilled with a psaltery if I do say so, myself." His voice flitted from somewhere above the trio, as though he had decided the air was safer than the ground and just gone up.

"Though I'm more an enthusiast wherein written works are concerned. Music, especially given it's long-lasting nature. Stories change, shift, evolve. Music IS." There was a tinge of jealousy in his tone.

One of the dog-things gave another sharp bark and suddenly the two of them seemed to implode; their forms collapsing inwards into two dark spots in the air like cold soulless eyes that slowly flickered out. The instant that dark light faded the Scribe's body returned to visibility and dropped down next to Andromeda.

"Oh; it is absolutely prying, but I don't mind. An old student of mine sent them to hunt me down because of a misunderstanding that she's not willing to hear the truth of just yet." He reached a hand out towards Rick and gave a meaningful nod towards the bracelet.
Image Signature by Sammy, Team Zeus Icon by Forge, Avatar by MiseryGK

User avatar
FrozenRose
Scrub
Scrub
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:35 pm
Gender: Female
Class: Nobility

Re: [IC - Tavern] The Sanctum

Post by FrozenRose » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:36 pm

Rosella has been standing there, watching as strangers interact with halfheartedness. Even when the large animals appeared, no-one made a move to exterminate the dog-like monsters. Until they exploded; that was quite the surprise to watch.
She had emerged out of the pool a while back; somehow dry and warm, but it seems that she was noticed. It was a good thing, she suppose, but she wanted to inject, ask a question or two about this new place she has somehow found herself in.

Looking down at the book; ivory, golden trimmed with specks of dust from being long forgotten, Rosella thinned her lips. This was a dangerous item, but it's safer in her palms, for now. Her golden eyes flickered upwards as they somehow went from talking about minor life details to a specific topic; singing, and how well they do. It wasn't like she couldn't herself, but prefers to use her voice for more practical uses rather than warble about nothing.
Or so she thought about singing anyway.

But at the thought that someone could hear her inner thoughts made her ears twitch in amusement, and her mouth curled into a slight smirk.
These individuals, after all, are no ordinary beings. Especially if they could somehow find their way to this space that Rosella has yet to figure out herself. The possibility of them having powers akin to telepathy is definitely not slim. It did not bother Rosella, however; it'd be not the first time she's encountered one after all.

Still questions churning around in her head, Rosella had to make a decision to step-in or stay out.
She opts to step-in, ridicule and curious people be damned, she would have an explanation of this so-called 'Collective'.
Yet, she doesn't speak nor make a move, instead watches on, similar to a hunter watching a prey.

Post Reply