Image Happy Spooky Month! Image

Check out the Olympic Finale!
An end to Olympian meddling - and a goodbye to a familiar face.

Halloween Hijinks!
Spooky goings on in the Sanctum!
A Creepy Collective Scavenger Hunt!
Our 'Terrifying Twos' two-line tale task!

Come chat with us on the officially unofficial Collective Discord.
Remembering to vote here and here every day is the leading cause of community growth, so keep it up! We've also just joined a new Directory, where you can vote for us here

What do you keep coming back to?

Where our Gamers can gather to discuss gaming platforms, latest releases, all time classics and connect with other Gamers.

Moderators: Darkblade, Ghostwriter

Ghostwriter
Journeyman
Journeyman
Class: Necromancer

What do you keep coming back to?

Post by Ghostwriter » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:37 am

You know, those games that you never get tired of, that you will always be dusting off to play for whatever reason. Not just the classics, but the ones you still play to this day... the real gems that stay good regardless of how long its been. For me, this video describes my number one~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQWHxBOaGWU

Runners up include, in no real order: GTA5, Age of Wonders, Supreme Commander, Minecraft, ARK, Fallout, Civilization, Starbound, Assassins Creed and Far Cry [any of em]

I should mention I havent played Witcher 3 yet which I hear is good, so who knows~ but Im thinking it'll be like say, Mass Effect or Final Fantasy. Good for a run, maybe 2 or 3... but then lose me.
InHeavenTheCooksAreFrench,PoliceAreBritish,EngineersAreGerman,BankersAreSwissAndLoversAreItalian
InHellTheCooksAreBritish,PoliceAreGerman,EngineersAreFrench,BankersAreItalianAndLoversAreSwiss

I'm an Architect

Forge
Pathfinder
Pathfinder
Class: Warrior

Re: What do you keep coming back to?

Post by Forge » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:45 am

Final Fantasy, particularly IX, which I'll play repeatedly until someone stops me. Assassin's Creed, same as yourself, because they've managed to make the over-arching plot involving the Precursors interesting.

The worst is Call of Duty, which I continue to invest in despite the steady decline in quality since Modern Warfare 2.
Remember to vote for RPGC!

Filth
Journeyman
Journeyman
Class: Adventurer

Post by Filth » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:43 am

For older games: Omega Boost on the PS1. I haven't dug it out in a long while but for years and more years I found myself with an itch only that game could scratch. Just the games opening alone is brilliant. Oh, and Static-X for the menu music.

As for recent: I almost exclusively play Destiny on the PS4 since just before Taken King dropped. I'm usually only on for events and a bit on the weekend for to check out what Xur's selling. Everything in that game just feels perfect about the mechanics, the style is amazing, and the lore...damn, do I love me some Destiny lore.

Nicodemus
Traveller
Traveller

Post by Nicodemus » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:49 am

I just dug out Shadow of the Colossus for PS2 to play it with my 5-year-old. I didn't expect it to age so well. The graphics and gameplay mechanics were brilliant for the system they had to work with. It was a beautiful and immersing experience and one of my all time favorites.

This is an obvious one, but The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time for N64 holds the record for play-throughs by me.

Also Call of Duty. We live in the sticks with no broadband to play on, so no online bouts for me. That's why we have a projection screen and a ceiling-suspended bedsheet to prevent screen watching set up at my brother's house.

Shea
Scout
Scout
Class: Paladin

Post by Shea » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:41 am

Definitely Bioshock abd Fallout: New Vegas. Also Fallout 4, actually. And Borderlands 2, with friends.

Creatress
Scout
Scout
Class: Pirate

Post by Creatress » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:29 pm

The Mass Effect trilogy. I get an itching to play it at least once a year. No matter how many times I play, it never gets old. I love all those familiar friends.

I played through Metal Gear Solid a lot but now that there's no backwards compatibility I haven't been able to in years.

I always love a romp through the Uncharted games. They're so good and so polished It's like watching your favorite movies over and over.

Thanks to Treble for the beautiful sig and avi!

Forge
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Forge » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:39 pm

Grandia and Grandia II. I'm not even convinced they're anything special in terms of standard console RPG's, but I remember picking the first one up from a friend back in school, and I loved every second of it. Got them on Steam/emulator now and everything.

Śaraṯkṣati
Traveller
Traveller

Post by Śaraṯkṣati » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:42 am

It's been years and years since the first time I sat down and played Mega Man 1, but the series as a whole-- and that game in particular-- is still a joy to revisit. More recently, Mass Effect comes to mind, and I occasionally indulge the urge to play Civilisation as well.
In the book of my heart, there is nought but you
In every word, every sentence, and every page.

Forge
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Forge » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:35 pm

The Call of Duty series, for reasons I don't fully understand, given that the games have been getting progressively worse since about the first Black Ops game.

In all honesty, I think it's probably because I have fond memories of playing MW/MW2 with my kid brother. That nostalgia factor's most likely the reason I keep looking at the CoD titles and going, "Alright, one more chance."

TheWrongGuy
Scout
Scout
Class: Mage

Post by TheWrongGuy » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:42 pm

I'm a huge Final Fantasy fan, but the only one I actively replay is
  • Tactics, because it's damn good.
  • The Avernum series... I've got somewhere near three hundred clocked hours...per title. For those keeping score...that's six titles. Not bad since they're around a fourth the price of a AAA game.
  • Skyrim
  • Oblivion
  • The early pokemon gens, mostly 2. Nothing past Ruby/Sapphire.
    Other than that...
  • Animal Crossing. The latest one, whichever, I have them all.

-TWG
"My Mask doesn't hide my face! ...My Mask is my face that hides the fact that I have none."
"...untenanted by any tangible form..."

HyperCynic
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by HyperCynic » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:11 pm

FF 7,8,9,10 and tactics, Oblivion/Skyrim, fallout, and The Borderlands series. Balder's gate 2 and Diablo 2 and Currently Path Of Exile.

As You can see I have a passion for rpg/dungeon crawler type games that have intensive skill trees or intensive character progression systems.
Credit for Signature and Avatar goes to Wadjet

Forge
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Forge » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:40 pm

TWG's just reminded me, but Pokemon. I have this crippling habit of buying it every time one of the new, main games comes out (I don't go in for Mystery Dungeon or any of that) but I've got less and less time as I get older, and I should really just replay the ones I have.

Sammy
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Sammy » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:53 pm

I'm such a sucker for nostalgia. So basically anything that takes me back to days gone by!

Pokemon, Golden Sun 1 + 2, Sonic Adventures, Age of Empires, Age of Mythology, Majesty 1 + 2, Sims, Civilisation, Magicka... probably a whole bunch of others I can't currently think of.
Please remember to vote here everyday!

Ghostwriter
Journeyman
Journeyman
Class: Necromancer

Post by Ghostwriter » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:45 am

heh, I can see the sonic and pokemon stuff, not sure what Golden sun is. Id definitely play magicka with you sometime if you send me a poke on steam.

Mostly though, yea, definitely agree on the Sims... my brother just got me a bunch of dlc stuff for the sims 4, so I'm probably going to dive head first into that again very soon.
InHeavenTheCooksAreFrench,PoliceAreBritish,EngineersAreGerman,BankersAreSwissAndLoversAreItalian
InHellTheCooksAreBritish,PoliceAreGerman,EngineersAreFrench,BankersAreItalianAndLoversAreSwiss

I'm an Architect

Lumeus
Traveller
Traveller

Post by Lumeus » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:23 am

Skyrim, Fallout 4, and Witcher 3.