Image Happy Spooky Month! Image

Check out the Olympic Finale!
An end to Olympian meddling - and a goodbye to a familiar face.

Halloween Hijinks!
Spooky goings on in the Sanctum!
A Creepy Collective Scavenger Hunt!
Our 'Terrifying Twos' two-line tale task!

Come chat with us on the officially unofficial Collective Discord.
Remembering to vote here and here every day is the leading cause of community growth, so keep it up! We've also just joined a new Directory, where you can vote for us here

Best Video Game Music!

Where our Gamers can gather to discuss gaming platforms, latest releases, all time classics and connect with other Gamers.

Moderators: Darkblade, Ghostwriter

SmellyStone
Wanderer
Wanderer
Class: Adventurer

Best Video Game Music!

Post by SmellyStone » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:15 pm

Just as the topic's name states, you guys are welcome to pop in pieces of video game music you enjoyed the most for some reason. To make the thread something more than a mere collection of links and embedded vids, I would like to ask you guys to post, in addition to the link/embed, a brief (more or less) description of what it is you find so awesome in the track.

Let me start, then!
Vendetta Arcade Music 10 - The bridge and the warehouse (stage 1): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S65wsnqpoCQ

Imagine the situation in which a vile gang kidnaps someone you love or something, for example your protegee, as it is in the game's plot. Considering that said gang severely outnumbers yours, which is composed just of you and your three buddies, that pretty much sucks.

Or does it?

Considering that the playable characters are based on Hulk Hogan, Mr. T, Jean Claude Van Damme and Mike Tyson, you might forget about disadvantages of throwing just one to four guys against such a large gang and remind yourself about the specific atmosphere of the action movies of the past decades, which is so well reinforced by the action shown in the game and of course, its soundtrack, the melody and 'instruments' of which I find most fitting. I find the first stage's track the most memorable, even though others had their charm, too.

Sammy
Navigator
Navigator

Re: Best Video Game Music!

Post by Sammy » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:28 pm

There was a song I really, really liked in one of the FF games (despite never liking the games) although I can't remember for the life of me what it was called at the minute. Going to drive me mad.
Please remember to vote here everyday!

SmellyStone
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by SmellyStone » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:52 pm

Sammy wrote:There was a song I really, really liked in one of the FF games (despite never liking the games) although I can't remember for the life of me what it was called at the minute. Going to drive me mad.
I find it funny how I feel exactly the same about the FF music and the games themselves. Perhaps if you were to remember which part of the series it was and whether it was a battle/boss/overworld theme, perhaps I could get you closer to the specific track and leave you with the describing. :smile:

Sammy
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Sammy » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:53 pm

SmellyStone wrote:
Sammy wrote:There was a song I really, really liked in one of the FF games (despite never liking the games) although I can't remember for the life of me what it was called at the minute. Going to drive me mad.
I find it funny how I feel exactly the same about the FF music and the games themselves. Perhaps if you were to remember which part of the series it was and whether it was a battle/boss/overworld theme, perhaps I could get you closer to the specific track and leave you with the describing. :smile:
No idea on any of the above. I didn't discover it in the game - one of my friends sang it for their music exam back when I was at school.

Forge
Pathfinder
Pathfinder
Class: Warrior

Post by Forge » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:59 pm

Shadow of the Colossus had an amazing soundtrack. Specifically fighting the Colossi themselves, and even more specifically the scores that play when you kill them.

Red Dead Redemption, in particular Jose Gonzalez''s Far Away.

Basically anything tacked on to a Metal Gear Solid game since Snake Eater, with the exception of Revengeance which is just speed metal.

Journey, which is pretty exceptional.

For all the debate it'll cause, I think FFVI probably had the best soundtrack. That said, there were some solid tunes in VIII, IX and X.

Lastly, Bioshock Infinite, particularly Will the Circle be Unbroken.

Honourable mention for Deemo, which I'm not sure counts given that it's a game specifically about playing music, but still. Also for Fallout: New Vegas, Street Fighter II and Grandia, which I still have a huge soft spot for.
Remember to vote for RPGC!

Sammy
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Sammy » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:25 am

I actually always really enjoy the music in FIFA, too.

Lumeus
Traveller
Traveller
Class: Mage

Post by Lumeus » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:36 am

Forge wrote: Journey, which is pretty exceptional.
Yes, this entire soundtrack is brilliant. Journey OST
Forge wrote:Lastly, Bioshock Infinite, particularly Will the Circle be Unbroken.
This soundtrack is incredible, and actually contributes to the plot in several parts of the game. Bioshock: Infinite OST

There are a few songs that you can find throughout the game that just fit perfectly. It is evident that the director spent a lot of time focused the music that was put in the game. This song, God Only Knows - Beach Boys, and this song, Fortunate Son - Creedence Clearwater Revival are a few examples. Amazing stuff.

Another soundtrack I love is Braid. Fantastic game and the soundtrack it unbelievable. In the game you can reverse, slow, and speed up time, so every song had to be able to sound good in reverse, slowed down, and played in double time. It's amazing.

Another soundtrack I love is Assassin's Creed: Black Flag. It instantly transports you to the early 18th century and the Golden Age of Piracy in the Caribbean. And that doesn't even cover all of the sea shanties you can sing along to.

I could go on forever with all the video game music I love, but I'll stop with this one. Halo,
Halo 3 - Finish the Fight, and Halo 5: Guardians - The Light is Green
Only song I know from the FF series is this one. Final Fantasy X - To Zanakand

Shakey Jake
Journeyman
Journeyman
Class: Nobility

Post by Shakey Jake » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:39 am

Oh! Oh! Oh! I like this topic. Here are my choices:

-It's 1996, my first Playstation, my first game...a T-rex appears! Tomb Raider, One of the best gaming moments ever with the added delight of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kf8ILVWX0LE

- This song has always stayed in my brain. I find myself humming it all the time. Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance, The Elfsong Tavern: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt-z8PiENl4

- Dragon Age Origins, one of the most intense games I've ever played. One of the best. The theme alone drags me straight back into it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWFEVbfCcOY

-Dragon Age Origins again, the moment the war with the Dark Spawn truly begins.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fqf-iZv6Zg

-Resident Evil 2, Escape from the lab. So, you've just been through terrifying hell. You think you've got through it all and then the self destruct alarms sound and you have to run for your life. Love it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBnB6nYTqRk

and finally we have Mass Effect 2: Overlord soundtrack. This DLC was so fantastic. It was a raw and emotional experience. I can't listen to this music without getting chills and sometimes weeping like a baby ha It is a heartbreaking piece of music that speaks of the atrocities man can commit against his fellow man, his own brother.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrEGaHmCGYs

Music is so important in games and movies, it can truly elevate a scene/level into something far more powerful.

Lumeus
Traveller
Traveller

Post by Lumeus » Sat May 21, 2016 12:32 am

Back in my World of Warcraft days I used to just fly around Northrend so I could listen to the music. Here are my three favorite: Totems of the Grizzlemaw, Mountains of Thunder, and Howling Fjord

Sammy
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Sammy » Mon May 23, 2016 11:30 pm

I love pretty much all of the WoW music.

So atmospheric!

SmellyStone
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by SmellyStone » Tue May 24, 2016 1:08 am

Lumeus wrote:Back in my World of Warcraft days I used to just fly around Northrend so I could listen to the music. Here are my three favorite: Totems of the Grizzlemaw, Mountains of Thunder, and Howling Fjord
For some reason, the first of the songs you've listed made me feel like preparing for a retaliation against a mighty assault. Except my army wouldn't be composed of steel-clad knights, rampant orcs nor cunning elves. Instead, I felt like setting some city-sized insects loose, supported by blaster-totting cavalry squads and such: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FLy8jQc-as

Just found some brief parts oddly similar to the Totems track.

Lumeus
Traveller
Traveller

Post by Lumeus » Tue May 24, 2016 1:16 am

In anticipation for the massive Witcher 3 DLC arriving at the end of the month, here's some music. The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt - The Trail, The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt - Spikeroog, The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt - The Song of the Sword-Dancer

Cross
Traveller
Traveller

Post by Cross » Tue May 24, 2016 4:42 am

Forge wrote: Red Dead Redemption, in particular Jose Gonzalez''s Far Away.
Yes. Absolutely. One of my favorite soundtracks of all time, and Gonzalez's works are my favorites.
Vote here and here everyday!

Cross
Traveller
Traveller

Post by Cross » Tue May 24, 2016 4:43 am

Cross wrote:
Forge wrote: Red Dead Redemption, in particular Jose Gonzalez''s Far Away.
Yes. Absolutely. One of my favorite soundtracks of all time, and Gonzalez and Lidell's songs are my favorites.
Vote here and here everyday!

MakingMoreStories21
Newcomer
Newcomer

Best Video Game Soundtracks?

Post by MakingMoreStories21 » Fri May 18, 2018 2:37 am

What are your favorite video game soundtracks? I feel like Halo 3: ODST did fantastic with the somber feelings, as well as Destiny 2.

My favorite of all time being Adieu in Destiny 2.
This is not your grave, but you are welcome to it.

Rick
Traveller
Traveller
Class: Pirate

Re: Best Video Game Soundtracks?

Post by Rick » Fri May 18, 2018 3:01 am

The first time I ever payed attention to music when it came to games was the soundtrack to The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind.

This one in particular is my favorite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvRoL3xW7Kc

And of course, the Fable soundtrack is just beautiful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7rWs92CK7k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4I23yxiJq4

Forge
Pathfinder
Pathfinder
Class: Warrior

Re: Best Video Game Soundtracks?

Post by Forge » Fri May 18, 2018 3:06 am

MakingMoreStories21 wrote:
Rick wrote:

Hey kids. Quick note; I've merged your posts into an existing topic, Best Video Game Music, which is both in the correct section and already basically covers what y'all were talking about. Let's stage a revival.
Remember to vote for RPGC!

MakingMoreStories21
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by MakingMoreStories21 » Fri May 18, 2018 3:16 am

Hahaha Forge called you a kid, Rick.

MakingMoreStories21
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by MakingMoreStories21 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:56 am

I'm sad that this thread is so DEAD.

Adrassil
Scout
Scout
Class: Rogue

Post by Adrassil » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:51 pm

MakingMoreStories21 wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:56 am
I'm sad that this thread is so DEAD.
Not anymore, mate!

This is seriously one of the best pieces of video game music ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTsD2FjmLsw