Happy Summer Solstice, Collective! Or... is it? Did anyone else feel that?!

Come chat with us on the officially unofficial Collective Discord.
Remembering to vote here and here every day is the leading cause of community growth, so keep it up! We've also just joined a new Directory, where you can vote for us here

Cartographers Guild (Interest check)

The Collective is home to several guilds of various focus and interest. Guilds are special interest groups and topics should be focused on the guilds chosen interests. Requests for a new guild can be made in Help and Feedback.

Moderators: Dionysus [Rick], Hera [Sammy]

HyperCynic
Wanderer
Wanderer
Class: Mage

Cartographers Guild (Interest check)

Post by HyperCynic » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:42 pm

Hey all....

So this is a tentative check as suggested by Sammy to find out who is interested in having a dedicated Cartographers Guild.

For those who look at this and have no clue where this is going let me just take a second to explain what I envision a Cartographers guild to be.
:blackbullet: A place devoted to World Building/Creation where people can post an Idea and others can give input/advice as per the specific request.
:blackbullet: A place where map making can be requested, or possibly the theory behind it taught.
:blackbullet: A place for discussion concerning the physics of travel so that those who choose to use realism in their posts can be as accurate as possible.
:blackbullet: A place for people who realise that world creation involves not just the shape and layout of the land itself but also the people's that inhabit it. Their traditions and differences, the wars they have fought.

As you can see this guild combines many of the skills provided by many of the current guilds, the hope here though is to provide a home where all these mediums can meet where it comes to the creation of a world from the smallest of Ideas.

If the idea appeals to you please take a minute to comment below and if anyone has any ideas to add please post them. This is just an idea in the making, but my hope is that by taking the dust from each section will enable us too combine it to create vivid worlds of both colour and content.
Credit for Signature and Avatar goes to Wadjet

PurpleShadows
Wanderer
Wanderer

Re: Cartographers Guild (Interest check)

Post by PurpleShadows » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:27 am

Wow! Yes!
ImageImageImage
:redbullet: :orangebullet: :yellowbullet: :greenbullet: :bluebullet: :pinkbullet: :purplebullet:

HyperCynic
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by HyperCynic » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:06 pm

I will Likely give this till saturday, with the current level of interest it will likely be best to just scrap the idea.

Kotorchix
Traveller
Traveller
Class: Paladin

Post by Kotorchix » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:39 pm

I am most certainly interested. I think the RP Isles of Aradia is a prime example of what you're talking about. I love this stuff so fricking much.

Here's a map of Aradia made by, I think originally, ShakeyJake. I've added bits and pieces.
Lumeus wrote:
Adrassil wrote:
Rick wrote:
Shea wrote:
IronParagon wrote:
dinthalion wrote:
Skummy the Kitty wrote:
All y'all get in here so this thing doesn't die.
Isles of Aradia
A Menagerie of Faces
Guardians of Actitraea
The Runaway
Skyrim: Forged in Blood
The Witcher: Trial of the Spheres

Skummy the Kitty
Journeyman
Journeyman
Class: Werebeast

Post by Skummy the Kitty » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:56 pm

YUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSS! This is happening, not scrapping today my friend!
Credit to Sammy and Nicodemus; one created my set for me, the other drew the source image as a request.
Thank You Both!

Lumeus
Traveller
Traveller

Post by Lumeus » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:38 am

What are we making?

Skummy the Kitty
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Skummy the Kitty » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:54 am

A place where world builders and map makers can come together and share their intellect nyas!

While I try to be hubmle abotu ti back int he YNYR days I was known for my expansive designs meow, I just suck at making maps and wanna learn how do
Credit to Sammy and Nicodemus; one created my set for me, the other drew the source image as a request.
Thank You Both!

Kotorchix
Traveller
Traveller

Post by Kotorchix » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:46 am

Lumeus and I have gone to ridiculous extents to figure out how many days it would take to travel around Skyrim's setting. xD A few homebrew rules to make the district seem a bit bigger at times. I think at last count you could cross the whole map in 18 in-game hours on horseback?
Isles of Aradia
A Menagerie of Faces
Guardians of Actitraea
The Runaway

HyperCynic
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by HyperCynic » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:09 pm

So there I was loosing hope that this idea might gain some interest and then I log on today to this. Officially a happy man.
I think at last count you could cross the whole map in 18 in-game hours on horseback?
At what pace was the horse moving? walk, trot, cantor or gallop? You sucked me in with this.

Also Aradia is exactly what I am talking about. I mean there is so much potential there and I feel that with multiple interested parties we could make so amazing worlds, geographically as well as creating the occupants that occupy it.

Skummy the Kitty
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Skummy the Kitty » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:32 pm

Occupancy is a tricky matter, making worlds from scratch you have to be able to build to scale or else it seems more like a thin shell than actual nourishing viability. But I think the errors rectify the more you have working into the subject so it brings a many faceted reality to the world itself and gives it the dynamic functionality of reality even if it's a work of fantasy.

Also Aradia is much fun so if this is anything like Lore work for that, this just got even more fun :D
Thank You Both!

HyperCynic
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by HyperCynic » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:43 pm

Well This is where I am going with this, Personally I do well with creating races, numerical values of populations creating a realistic world based on facts and numbers. All skills that are veritably useless when I have no map to work with I hope to create a place where I can share my abilities with others and can learn to develop my own skills as a map maker/ world creator.

I hope that creating something along these lines will encourage people to diversify there creations with the input of others should it be requested. Sorry.... Million ideas running through my head here.

Lumeus
Traveller
Traveller

Post by Lumeus » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:39 pm

I like to start with the planet's size, relation to the sun, and rotation; then I can make a calendar, and figure out how long the days and nights are, and how many days are in a year. With that decided I can figure out what the seasons are like. All those things tend to have a pretty significant impact on people and the development of civilizations and culture, so I like to have them figured out before I even start to make the land forms. Also, if the planet has multiple moons, it starts to play merry-hob with the tides, and ultimately the planet's rotation.

HyperCynic
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by HyperCynic » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:33 pm

That's definitely a great point, it will also make a massive difference to the climates the planet will experience, also depending on the setting things like eclipses could play an interesting part in cultural events, especially with multiple moons.

Hera [Sammy]
Navigator
Navigator
Class: Adventurer

Post by Hera [Sammy] » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:24 pm

Hey folks,

Super pleased to see that this has gathered some interest! For now, understandably, we're hesitant to create a board for a project that currently has no content. Our suggestion for now is that you folks create a central thread in The Writer's Guild called 'Cartography Club' or whatever tickles your fancy, that can serve as a central repository for links to relevant threads as well as hold discussions relations to the club. Then, any thread themselves can be posted in either the Artisan's or Writer's Guild depending on where they fit best.

If everyone is as enthusiastic in practise as you guys have been in here, in theory then I'll be more than happy to make this all official with a child board but for now we would like to see how this gets on.
Please remember to vote here everyday!

Kotorchix
Traveller
Traveller

Post by Kotorchix » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:24 pm

Sammy wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:24 pm
Hey folks,

Super pleased to see that this has gathered some interest! For now, understandably, we're hesitant to create a board for a project that currently has no content. Our suggestion for now is that you folks create a central thread in The Writer's Guild called 'Cartography Club' or whatever tickles your fancy, that can serve as a central repository for links to relevant threads as well as hold discussions relations to the club. Then, any thread themselves can be posted in either the Artisan's or Writer's Guild depending on where they fit best.

If everyone is as enthusiastic in practise as you guys have been in here, in theory then I'll be more than happy to make this all official with a child board but for now we would like to see how this gets on.
HyperCynic wrote:
Yo! Let's do this! I'll even do graphics if you like. Tag me or PM me when you got the thread up.
Isles of Aradia
A Menagerie of Faces
Guardians of Actitraea
The Runaway

HyperCynic
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by HyperCynic » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:10 pm

viewtopic.php?f=148&t=2844
Up and ready to go, let me know what additions you would like made to the introduction if there are any and lets get mapping.
Lumeus wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:39 pm
Sammy wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:24 pm
Kotorchix wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:24 pm
PurpleShadows wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:27 am